Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,751   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Two Enlarging lens questions.

1. 135mm vs 150mm for 4x5 negatives. I'm guessing the differences are subtle, but can someone compare/contrast the two for me.

2. I got an Omega D-II, with just a flat lens board for my small format stuff, but not the little board that lens mounts too, which attaches to that board. I've never mounted an enlarging lens to a board like this. Is it the same as mounting a large format lens? I'm not seeing any refernces to the word "Retaining flange" on the lenses that I'm looking at on eBay. Do they mount this way (where I could build my own boards to attach to the big boards), or do they screw in directly onto the smaller board requiring me to find an actual little board?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. I use a Schnieder Componon-S 135 f5.6 for 4x5 and it works quite well for me. Bought it used on the recommendation of a friend. It will give you larger enlargements at a lower head height.

2. i can't answer this as I have an ancient Beseler 57MB.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Sjixxxi
    Ask Harry at www.classic-enlargers.com
    sergio caetano

Images
    I have a 135mm for 4x5 on mt D2v. You need a cone not a lensboard for anything longer than 105mm.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I used my D2 I had a cone that my 135 mm Schneider was mounted to. This was as a cold light enlarger...so the condensor considerations did not apply.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    135mm will cover 4x5 for enlargement sizes that can be made in a darkroom. If you were projecting to billboard size the 150mm would be needed.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The lens is held in the small lens disc by a retaining ring (also called jam nut) in the same way as a camera lens. Most lenses use a standard 39mm ring, but other sizes are also made, eg Schneider Componon s 150mm is 50mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    any lens for sale on ebay that does NOT list the retaining ring, make sure you e-mail the seller and ask if it is included.
    www.khbphotografix.com is also a good place for info (aswell as parts and service).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The round lense board that fits in the cone is just like any other. I've used pressboard for it, which is a little thicker than the metal, but works. I have found that the retaining rings usually used for mounting enlarging lenses sometimes don't work, and you need to get a flange-like one that is a little thicker (but not a threaded flange).

A better answer is that if you can't get a retaining ring, or it doesn't work on the lens and board, contact SK Grimes. See:

http://www.skgrimes.com/lensmount/index.htm

Measure the lense you need to mount, and the threads, and they can get you the right retaining ring.

I use a 135mm for 4x5 and don't have any issues with light falloff in the corners, but I understand this can vary from lense to lense.

Good luck,

William
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For something more rigid than press board, try your local hobby shop for aviation grade plywood usually available in 4x12" and various thickness. Cut your disc from that, it'll be less prone to holding dust.
    Finding the lens cone will be more problematic. Although the cones for the Dll are available in the used market you need to be sure about what you're shopping for. It's been a while since I had a Dll but it seems that a 150mm needed a 6" cone. Maybe you'll luck out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin