Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,861   Online: 1066

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The only difference is I use split so the diffusion only hits the hightlight(skin) and I bring the blacks in with the 5 filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's my belief, from looking at his original prints (the portraits), that Mapplethorpe used some variation of our technique. The shadows have a that soft dark glow around them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Then with the 5 filter give a 100% blast over top of your main.

Bob, what do you mean by 100% blast?

What I understand is that you want me to establish the highlight first using #0 filter and defuse to soften the skin. Then lay down shadows using #5.... right?

I think, the placement of the stocking affects the amount of diffusion. Do this close to the lens or really stretch it and do it close to the print?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Embroidery hoops (a variety of sizes available) make a great support for the stocking material mentioned by Bob and others. Tulle fabric (a fine netting) can also work for diffusion, but with less effect than the stockings.

And Bob mentioned it, but it could be stressed a bit more for those starting out: the diffusion material should be kept moving during the entire time it's used.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doug,

Thank you for your input. I see the concept and I'll have to try and see which one works better for this particular problem portrait.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,

It's 645 so re-touching film is beyond my ability. Prints will be 8x10 and 11x14.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Sorry , I mean you will have to establish a grade five for the shadows and blacks, usually the exact same time as the 0 exposure (100% blast)

I use the filter closer to the lens and like Lee mentions moves it continually.

Also unrelated, but in Lith printing I will make a main exposure, then crinkle up tissue paper and lay it directly on the paper and easel and with a big ass dodging tools hold back key areas and blast the crap out of the print.
    you get the texture of the paper or the creases and it really is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Bob, what do you mean by 100% blast?

What I understand is that you want me to establish the highlight first using #0 filter and defuse to soften the skin. Then lay down shadows using #5.... right?

I think, the placement of the stocking affects the amount of diffusion. Do this close to the lens or really stretch it and do it close to the print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I will try this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin