Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,165   Online: 1044

Shooter
    Multi Format

Durst lab 1000 problems

Hi

I have a Durst lab 1000 to enable me to print multi format negatives and plates. I recently completed doing contact sheets for over 170 negatives and used my trusty focomat 1c to do this to enable me to select the negatives i wanted to enlarge as they are negatives which range from 40 to 75 years old.

So yetsrday went to use the durst on a plate negative i think about 2 1/4 by ?? and used a 75mm nikor lens. Tried 5.6, 4, 8 but the test strips were coming out really poor - too dark. Tonight i tried using my analyser pro to measure the exposure time but all that kept saying was LO. Help any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. the bulb is 150w

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What size of print, if the print is dark, go to f 8 or 11 or 16. Consider cutting your exposure time in half. Which head on the Durst? The 150 watt halogen bulb in the colour head is really bright.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can probably stop that lens down to f11 or f16 without being bothered by diffraction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    its a black and white head the print was enlarged to postcard size

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that small a print size from a medium format neg will need almost sub 5 sec exposures at very small apertures.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have printed a lot very small prints (postcard size and smaller) where the enlarger head is very close to the easel.

I was able to print with a reasonable f/stop (f/8 or f11) and 10second exposures by using a longer focal length lens (105mm) to raise the head up a little and sometimes I had to use a neutral density filter above the negative stage.

If you decide to get a color head in the future, make sure it has a Density Filter channel - that way you will be able to dial in the neutral density to control the exposure.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin