Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,921   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Lens for 6x7 enlargement.

I recently got a new enlarger that can do 6x7 negatives and it came with a 135mm lens. I previously had a 35mm enlarger with a 50mm lens, but I find that the 135mm lens does not make a very big print with 6x7, approximately only 8x10 (i have beseler 45mx2) and the 50mm lens the corners are not getting any light with a 6x7 negative. Is the 50mm lens too wide?
    What sort of lens would be good to get up to 16x20 on this enlarger?
    Can anyone reccomend a specific lens that is reasonable quality.

Thanks.
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for 6x7 I use a Nikkor 80mm f5.6 six element lens.

Marty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Wollensak 90mm that will cover 6x9cm that works very well for me.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If i am getting 8x10 with a 135, what size will I get with a 80-90mm lens?
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That depemds on how tall the column is. I would think at least 11x14 or maybe 16x20.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My forty year old 75mm El Nikkor easily does 16x20 with 6x6 an is very sharp so I would think that a 80-90mm would suit your needs.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Beseler 23c II with the XL column and can make a 16x20 with room to spare.

Marty

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you raise the head as far up as possible and measure the distance from the negative down to the surface the print rests on (top of easel if you intend on using it) and post this dimension, then we can quickly calculate the dimensions of the largest focused projection so long as you state the format and focal length of the lens you intend on using.

The calculated dimensions are generally quite close to what your equipment will actually produce.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    80mm is the shortest length (and therefore will give the largest magnification) you usually want to use with 6x7. Some 75mm lenses will work but many will give you bad corners and you'll only get 6% more magnification from a 75mm. There are also the occasional wide-angle (greater angular coverage) enlarger lenses to be found, which mean you can have a ~60mm lens cover 6x7 and make prints the next size up with the same column height.

If you get 8x10" with 135mm, you will get about 12x16" with 80mm (use the ratio of the focal lengths). Perhaps slightly more or less since the focal lengths are nominal only and you may have been cropping somewhat and/or not right at the top of your column to get 8x10".

Edit: when you ask "is the 50mm too wide", well there's isn't such a thing as too wide unless you want to make a tiny print. The problem is that it has insufficient coverage and you will see only a little circular image from the middle of your neg if you use a typical 50mm enlarging lens.
    Last edited by polyglot; 07-12-2011 at 10:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try a 105mm Nikkor. Its what I use.
    Logan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin