Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,755   Online: 1069

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Which lenses to keep ?

Hello all,

I've been lucky enough to get myself an LPL 7700 enlarger with multigrade head.

The enlarger came with two lenses : Rodagon 50/2.8 and 80/4.

I already have 3 Nikon lenses (50, 80 and 135) so I do not need the Rodagons.

My feeling is to keep the Nikons as I like them, and to sell the Rodagon, I just wanted to get your opinion on this, in case I'm heading for a mistake...
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Rodagons are at least as good as the nikkors.

Edit: conversely, you may get more money by selling the Rodagons. They're all good enough that you're probably diffraction limited in normal B&W use so it doesn't matter which you keep; I'm assuming none are APOs.
    Last edited by polyglot; 07-13-2011 at 07:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not keep all of them!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Keep the lenses you like and have experience with.
    Steve.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Make a couple of test prints between the Nikkors and the Rodagons and you will know..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Confirm first that you don't need esoteric lens mounts for one or more of the Nikkors before you decide upon them.

Some lenses, because of their physical configuration, are harder then others to mount on certain enlargers.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Test test test! I remember reading in a published article awhile ago about the large amount of variation of sharpness from one enlarger lens to another, even from the same make and brand.

That said, I like my Rodagons and Componons more than the Nikkors I have used.Things like red light up F stops and stepless aperture switches are a plus and make things easier in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for your insights. Looks like I will have to test a bit...

One very positive point is that all my lenses are threaded in 39mm, so I can mount all of them.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello, Laurent. If all the lenses are in equal condition then there shouldn't be any real difference in image quality up to @ 12 inch print. From there the Rodagons may have a slight edge at bigger enlargements. As said, though, individual lenses may show some variance from the originally designed performance. Therefore, if you do test and find differences at, say 10x8 then the poorer lens isn't performing as expected since none should show any 'fault' at this size.
    FWIW, if you are going to sell a couple, my personal instinct would be to have the Rodenstocks as keepers (particularly the 80mm f4) if they are in good condition. I have Nikkor, Rodenstock, Schneider and Leitz lenses that I like, so I have no bias.
    Regards, Mark Walker.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin