Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,009   Online: 707

Shooter
    35mm

Making a mask for a negative carrier

Hi, I've only got a 6x9 negative holder, but I'm keen to enlarge some 35mm film. I'm just wondering what material people have found to be most effective at completely blocking light. Is cardboard thick enough? Plastic?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've made negative carriers using black mat board.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See if you could find a plastic 35mm slide mount then use black tape to adhere it to you 6x7 cm carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to use a glass carrier (had one around) and the black plastic that Ilford papers come in. Before the black plastic bags, I used the black "paper" (sometimes apparently a multi-layered product) that papers came in. In the glass carrier it worked like a charm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The backing paper for 120 film makes a pretty decent mask as well, free with every roll of film.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Is cardboard a possible material that would work to make a neg carrier?

Mat board sounds good, however the 6x9 carrier I have has anti newton glass in it, and I was thinking I'd get something quite thin to I could just pop it between the glass in the proper carrier.

I have a feeling mat board is too thick to do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try the 120 film backing paper.

Edit: Ilford backing paper is approx 0.0045" some unknown b&w 35mm film reads approx 0.0054"

You can cut it to mask the image area or include the sprocket holes and the film will still be clamped between the glass plates.
    Last edited by Bob-D659; 07-13-2011 at 08:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I make masks for my glass carriers out of black construction paper. My wife was a teacher so we always had some around. Probably get it at any teacher store.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin