Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,277   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Condenser–diffuser illumination system

Does anyone know of a B&W 670 or 690 enlarger using both diffusion and condensers for a light source? I'm trying to find a compromise between a Beseler 23 and a LPL Dichro.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most enlargers can change between the two. Do you mean both at the same time?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm looking for a light source head that has a diffuser on top of two condensers. My largerst neg is 6x6 but I would like the enlarger to have 6x7 capability.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well the 23C supports 6x9cm/2x3" negatives as shipped. A piece of opal glass can replace the condensers. Seems to be able to do what you want.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kaiser VP series are combined diffuser/condenser enlargers. See www.kaiser-fototechnik.de for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Greetings , The ' VIVITAR VII ' , no longer made had a 'light-pipe' diffuser from the lamp house and a single condenser above the negative . The model VI was 6 X 6 and the VII was 6 X 7 cm . I still have mine under a dust cover in corner of my darkroom. ................. Cheers Barrie B. Australia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Beseler 23cII with the dual dicro S head uses both the diffusion head with the condensers.

Marty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I'm looking for a light source head that has a diffuser on top of two condensers. My largerst neg is 6x6 but I would like the enlarger to have 6x7 capability.
    So you want a condenser light source with dichroic or colored filters above it. As mentioned the Vivitar Light pipe enlarger does that. I'd just use a conventional diffusion light source and not bother with the condensers. Or use a conventional condenser light source and colored filters.

Shooter
    35mm
    It might help if you said why you want both condenser and diffuser. It may be that you are under the impression that condensers are better for some kind of printing but like ic-racer I wouldn't bother.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    All things considered, neither the Vivitar or B-23 is what I'm looking for. The pricey Kaiser V9500 color head with a diffuser over the condenser is in play. I read this configuration increases contrast by 1/2 grade vs a typical dichro head. The less expensive B&W V-9500 head lacks the diffuser per the web site. What are used choices in a condenser-diffuser light source. Think Leitz 1c light quality.

On graded paper my existing negatives print better using a condenser. My base paper is EMAKS #3 and Galarie #3. They are about 1/2 grade different in contrast. With VC paper using the LPL Dichro my filtration is 3.5.

One solution is a used LPL 670 XL condenser head and my LPL color head. Switch heads for contrast control. Another solution is a Dr. Beers formula but I don't wish to go that direction. After re-reading Ilford's DR book (illustration on heads), a condenser with diffuser may be the best compromise. Besides the Kaiser and Vivitar, what other choice----Durst 600 series; Dunco ????? Enlargements never bigger than 11x14.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 07-19-2011 at 04:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin