Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,437   Online: 972

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting. As it happens I also have an (ugly, but functional) Graphic w/ focal plane shutter that I planned to make a pinhole for, but haven't gotten around to it yet...
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Jorj point that the sheet lenses you find in book stores have a short focal length isn't to be ignored.

Wonder where you could find them with longer focal lengths? Of course that would kind of defeat the light gathering function, so that's probably not a desired characteristic for most lens makers.

And with an aperture the size of a graphic lensboard the light falloff would probably be horrific.

Still might beat a Holga.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would such a fresnel sheet be useful for placing in front of the ground glass of a view camera to enhance it?
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Interesting. As it happens I also have an (ugly, but functional) Graphic w/ focal plane shutter that I planned to make a pinhole for, but haven't gotten around to it yet...
    *thumbs up*

Terry, by many accounts these magnifiers work quite well for enhancing a ground-glass. I'll be trying soon, but haven't gotten around to it. There's a thread here that discusses it.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Sorry but you are wrong. http://science.howstuffworks.com/question244.htm

Fresnel lenses can be used in enlargers but only between the light source and the negative. As I said they are not good for imaging.
    Huh?

Aren't fresnel lenses used in multi-kilobuck Canon green ring lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon lenses use a multilayer diffractive optical element. The pattern seen through a DO lens may look similar to that of a Fresnel lens but other patterns other than concentric rings are also used. Diffractive elements are thin phase elements that operate by means of interference and diffraction to produce arbitrary distributions of light or to aid in the design of optical systems. A pattern is etched onto the surface of the DO element and is only a wavelength or two deep. In a Fresnel lens, the rings are much, much deeper and they work by refraction rather than diffraction. So the Canon DO lenses do not use a Fresnel element.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Fresnel lens was invented by a frenchman by the name of Augustine Jean Fresnel in 1822. Its purpose was to concentrate the light from lighthouses and make them more effective in warning ships.

An interesting fact, in pronouncing his name and the name of the lens he invented the 's' is silent so it is pronounced "frenel". The french appear to have an aversion to the sound of 's' in some words. This can be seen in many cognates. For example, ecole, foret, arret; the English words being school, forest, and arrest or stop.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-29-2011 at 09:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin