Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,218   Online: 781

Shooter
    Medium Format

de vere glass neg mask, tips

hi fellows, i have just started to use the glass neg mask on the de vere 504. anti newton on top plain on bottom.first two prints from 35mm last night look good, no dust either, result. however i need some advice on several points.
    1. should i be so worried about scratching the glass, is it ok to close them together with no neg or tissue paper between?
    2. do minor scatches come into focus anyway?
    3. how can i center the neg acurately, i dont want to stray too far into the edge of the lens image circle.
    4. and thats just what i know i dont know, so please enlighten me to the virtues of the glass.
    thanks for any help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matteiflex View Post
    hi fellows, i have just started to use the glass neg mask on the de vere 504. anti newton on top plain on bottom.first two prints from 35mm last night look good, no dust either, result. however i need some advice on several points.
    1. should i be so worried about scratching the glass, is it ok to close them together with no neg or tissue paper between?
    I have never had a problem letting the two glass pieces touch, but some people recommend leaving a negative in place.
    With a condenser head, yes. With a diffusion light source, not as bad.
    3. how can i center the neg acurately, i dont want to stray too far into the edge of the lens image circle.
    I center my laser under the lens by watching the circular diffraction pattern. I use that center point as a guideline to align the easel. Then adjust the negative in the carrier if it does not project onto the easel as you want. Don't move the easel once it is centered under the lens.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    1. Yes be worried if you are putting the two glasses together, if you are using the neg carrier there is space for this so no problem.
    2. Minor scratches do come into play and cause problems
    3.good question---- you will need black electrical tape and a light box-**Also the proper glass carrier that can be mounted back in the same position each time.***
    Place your easel blades to the correct size you want to print, lets say 12x18 for a 35mm neg. Make sure you are using a deveere carrier with glass.
    Put a single negative into the center of the carrier.
    Drop the front bellows so you see a circle on the easel and make the blades position perfectly corner to corner within the circle. This tells you the easel is centered to the enlarger.
    Put the glass carrier into place ,Focus and see where the negative lands, if it is not perfect within the blades of the easel, take the carrier out and move the negative until it is perfect, you will need scotch tape to do this, once you have the negative in perfect position, take out the carrier , turn it upside down on the lightbox and put black electrical tape around the image , effectively blocking all the light around** which is a good thing***.
    This will give you a template for all future work, moving the easal always causes problems like soft edges and vignetting, this procedure minimizes this.
    From here on all you have to do is place the new neg into the template , lock the negative carrier in place and voila, the whole shebang is centered.
    I have 8 carriers with glass for this very purpose for 4x5 enlargers.
    3 35 mm set ups, 2 - 6x6 2-2x7 2- 6x9 which pretty much sums up the bulk of sizes I print with mf and 35.
    Hope this makes sense, a lot of info but a very good method for repeatable positioning of negatives into your enlarger.
    If you are in a public darkroom then I would purchase your own carrier and bring it each time.

4- Using glass carriers are difficult at first and then become a life saver. You focus once, you have flat film to align your enlarger.

Focal Point in Florida is my source and they are very good, and helpful.

4. and thats just what i know i dont know, so please enlighten me to the virtues of the glass.
    thanks for any help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    wow Bob, thanks for that.great method for centering the neg, i'll follow your advice to the letter. so maybee i'll too be needing just one more glass bottom for 6x6 negs and get it taped up.
    just to be sure, what is best to protect the glass to glass surface when i close it up empty ? i'm using de vere glass, they are local to me and not too expensive. Although i have only printed 35mm onto 9.5 x 12 i'm sure it looks different. but i know i will see a big difference when i print from 6x6 negs. this was when i read you dont belive in depth of feild and it just rang true to me too.
    P.S your sticky post is just amazing and i'm thrilled that you help me.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You are welcome, happy people are still starting out in a darkroom these days.

just to clarify, you need the deveere neg holder to insure it locks back in place at the right position each time.
    I went out and bought 8 neg carriers for my Omega enlargers.
    I have a 11x14 deveere and I do have positions mapped out, the deveere has the masking blades which are nice to use.
    Remember look straight up from the easel position to the light source, every thing needs to be in a straight line to get the best coverage.
    I would put a soft antistatic cloth between the glass if it worrys you.

wow Bob, thanks for that.great method for centering the neg, i'll follow your advice to the letter. so maybee i'll too be needing just one more glass bottom for 6x6 negs and get it taped up.
    just to be sure, what is best to protect the glass to glass surface when i close it up empty ? i'm using de vere glass, they are local to me and not too expensive. Although i have only printed 35mm onto 9.5 x 12 i'm sure it looks different. but i know i will see a big difference when i print from 6x6 negs. this was when i read you dont belive in depth of feild and it just rang true to me too.
    P.S your sticky post is just amazing and i'm thrilled that you help me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I went out and bought 8 neg carriers for my Omega enlargers.
    Bob, you mean 8 glass carriers, right?

All different sizes or all the same and then you mask out...?

Just curious...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have 8 plus glass carriers. They are all 4x5 and I mask out the glass from behind for each format as described above.
    I am always looking for those carriers.
    When I am printing a large show or portfolio, it is nice to prepare the negatives in advance to coming into the enlarger room, makes workflow much smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Bob, you mean 8 glass carriers, right?

All different sizes or all the same and then you mask out...?

Just curious...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's what I was thinking...thanks, Bob! Very efficient work method.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin