Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,270   Online: 1127

Shooter
    35mm

Problem with Focomat Ic...

I'm having a small problem with my Focomat Ic. Though otherwise making terrific prints, about 1/2" of one side of my prints(usually 11x14)is out of focus and looks slightly smeared. This does not affect the opposite side of the print and the opposing corners are very sharp. This only affects-to my eyes-the narrow side of one edge only of my prints-all of them. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everything properly fitted and adjusted? Lensboard, condensors, lamp? Enlarger head parallel with ground board? Etc etc?
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On some of the lC's an anti-newton glass was used below the condenser. Is it firmly seated?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems odd that an enlarger problem affects a "strip" of the print. You're sure that the problem is not on the negative? And you're certain that the paper is held flat without an edge curling up?

Could you scan an image with the problem and attach it?

-Will
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't say for sure that everything is aligned properly as there isn't much to adjust on this enlarger. The condenser, lens, anti-newton glass and carriers are all installed properly. I don't see any curling of the paper on the easel. After first noticing this out of focus "strip" for the first time, I checked my older prints, and it does seem that this is evident on every print I've made with this enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you rotate the condenser, lens or AN glass, does the same area remain out of focus? If it moves with one of these parts, you've found the culprit. If not, could it be some sort of alignment problem? I had one of these critters many years ago & don't remember anything that could go out of whack.

Shooter
    35mm
    This may be a bit low-tech, and you will definitely not want any witnesses but...
    try resting the back of your head on the baseboard of the enlarger. Look up into the lens with the enlarger lamp on and voila, you will see the neg, carrier, etc in sharp relief. Any funky edges of, say, the neg carrier will be immediately apparent. Remember that if the left side of your print is bad, then the right side of the neg will show the problem, if indeed the problem is up inside the enlarger.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Jon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin