Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,470   Posts: 1,570,911   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Need external tray dimensions for paterson 20x24 trays

I need to know how much space these take up. If someone could measure one for me. I'm building a new sink and I know from experience that paterson trays are larger than many because of the spout.
    Thanks
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    wildbill,

I asked the same question a while back. If you look for posts by "semi-ambivalent" you'll find the thread. I believe 20x24 was mentioned in it. If not I bet you could get you answer with an email to the great folks at Freestyle.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No answer on that thread. I'd rather get my answer here, no one can read a ruler like an apuger
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    External dimensions are:

25" (side-to-side to spout) x 29 1/4" (front-to-back to spout) x 4 3/8"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    External dimensions are:

25" (side-to-side to spout) x 29 1/4" (front-to-back to spout) x 4 3/8"
    Excellent, I was going to build the sink 30" deep anyways. I doubt I'll print 20x24 in trays (probably use jobo) anyway but need to prepare for the unexpected. I could always put a mattress in the sink if my wife gets mad at me as well.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you process FB prints in a Jobo tank you’ll likely spoil it.

Jobo drums are made to just accept color prints that are fully encapsulated in a waterproof resin. Since they are waterproof, RC prints don’t expand because the paper doesn’t get wet.

A Jobo 3063 20” x 24” print drum will hold the print with the opposite ends just about touching. As an FB print gets soaked with the water component of processing solutions, it increases size significantly. The paper is constrained end-to-end and by the periphery of the drum. The expanded print will buckle like the corrugated layer of a corrugated cardboard shipping box.

In some cases, the emulsion will be sharply and permanently creased by this buckling. The print can be flattened later, but any sharp creases that form are permanent. B&W RC prints can be processed in a Jobo drum, but FB is best done in trays or a trough.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Now that's interesting. Do you know how much the print expands?
    My first thought is to have a 1/4 inch border and pre soak the print and them make sure it overlaps in the tank.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Each paper would expand and shrink different amounts. Most expansion is across the grain. I remember using a thin Kodak paper which out of the box was 42" wide. When wet it was over 43" wide.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was looking up info on the 3063 drum and saw this....is anyone successfully developing 20x24 fiber in this drum with a pre-wet?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    It will develop in the 3063 drum, but the paper will expand significantly as it absorbs water from the processing solutions. The paper will buckle and in some cases the baryta layer and the emulsion will crack open where the paper is sharply buckled.

The first print I tried this with in 1988 was on Ilford MG IV FB. It came out of the drum looking like the corrugated inner layer of a cardboard box due to expansion and no place for it to expand. It took a long time to flatten the heavily-weighted print so that it could be mounted. In this case the print survived. Other attempts resulted in ruined prints.

These print drums can be used to process RC papers, but really aren’t suitable for FB paper due to the fact that it attains the consistency of a cooked noodle and expands a great deal with the absorption of water.

I ran plain water with the print in the drum first to promote even development. The softening and expansion of the paper are the same with or without the presoak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin