Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,775   Online: 866

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford MG Filter Equivalents

As I posted in bvy's Fun with Multigrade Filters thread, I damaged an old #3 Ilford MG filter in the 6x6 inch (15x15 cm) above-the-condensers size. The center is usable, but ...

I have an even older set of Ilford MG filters. They go from 1 through 7 (seven filters) in single grade steps. The damaged filter is a member of a set of 12 filters that go from 00 through 5 in half grade steps.

What would be the nearest equivalent of the newer #3 (damaged) in the older filter set?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Given they have all probably faded the best way would be to test by printing a step wedge. Pick your replacement to fill in the gap between 2.5 and 3.5. That could also tell you if they should be replaced.

If you don't have a step wedge, just making a test strip without a negative can tell you contrast. Use f/stop timing, so each step is 1/2 a stop higher than the previous. 4s, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, etc. You can compare one strip to the next visually to rank their contrast ranges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flatten it, tape it up, and keep using it. I don't think it is a really big deal. that is unless you use a point source lamp, which are very rare these days.

Freestyle had individual 12" square Ilford MG filters on the shelf a fw months ago. I never even knew they were sold that way. They were like $20 or more, so I went with the Slavich (or was it branded Fomabron or something else Eastern European? nk) 6x6 in 5 steps MG filters for something like $35.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin