Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,876   Online: 973

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What average time you needed for make a final print?

What average time you needed for make a final print? I don't have professional equipment and for make final print I need average time around 2 or 3 hours (print only, excepting toning or drying). It's many or not?
    What you algorithm of geting a final print?
    When you have a negative. Then, do you make a contact print? Or just proof print only, and then final print? What you means of evaluating negative?

My sequence of activity not ordered. I am from Russia, and understanding yours sequence of activity could help me make my "process" more knowledgeable and predictable.

I read books of A. Adams and some others, but opinion of practicing at that time, very important for me.....

Thanks a lot!
    Sorry for my English language.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minimum time for me for doing archival fiber printing with five copies from an easy neg is probably an hour. Harder negs can frustrate me so much that I spend days, so there is really no way to time it. I guess average would be an hour and a half to two hours for a series of five archival-processed fiber prints.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

what size is your print? For 27x40 cm print I need also about one - two hours. First I scan negatives, and then decide what to print bu looking on computer. Then I make a test with small paper (cca 10x15 cm) on one or two most important part of image: exposing 10sec, 20sec, 30 sec or similar - to get exposure time right. After that I print final print. But sometimes when print dries I look at it - and print again.

This is with perfect negative - where no burning and dodging are necessary.

regards,

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Your english skills are better than mine and I have 1400 posts. So you can post more. When I was working at a photograph studio , I made 100 000 school children portraits in 33 days , with a manual controlled machine , and I was printing hundreds of wedding prints , every night. And the 35 mm customers prints daily. I was standing on the machine 14 hours a day , 7 days a week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You guys work fast. I need about 4 hours a print. I make about 3-5 test strips per print, then make a work print, then a final. Then bleach, tone and spot (spotting comes after the drying obviously, but I factored in about 15-30 minutes a print). In an 8 hour session I only get 2-3 prints. I spend a lot of time looking at my work prints saying "what if I did this....", so that there is little, if any improvement. There's nothing worse for me than going back again and again to improve a print. I am pretty meticulous when it comes to final/exhibition prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DimasShishkin View Post
    What average time you needed for make a final print? I don't have professional equipment and for make final print I need average time around 2 or 3 hours (print only, excepting toning or drying). It's many or not?
    What you algorithm of geting a final print?
    When you have a negative. Then, do you make a contact print? Or just proof print only, and then final print? What you means of evaluating negative?

My sequence of activity not ordered. I am from Russia, and understanding yours sequence of activity could help me make my "process" more knowledgeable and predictable.

I read books of A. Adams and some others, but opinion of practicing at that time, very important for me.....

Thanks a lot!
    Sorry for my English language.

hi

no need to apologize for your english.

when you get more practice you will be faster, i can't really explain what i do very well because i don't really think about it when i print.
    learn a system that works with you, and your film+paper
    ... practice makes perfect.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take whatever time you need to make the quality you want. Aim for quality first, speed second. Speed comes with experience. It's fairly standard to make a few test strips, a work print, a trial dodged & burned print, and then the final print.

I can make any number of prints as quickly as you want if you don't care about quality.

Much depends on who the client is. If the client is your Aunt who just wants some snapshots of her dog, then perhaps it would be faster. If you are the client, preparing prints for a gallery show of your work, then it can take forever or nearly that long.

There is almost always room to improve quality. Aim at that and you'll get the greatest satisfaction.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you guys!!!
    In two last years I always think about how I can doing acceptable print. And now I use a Medium Format Camera. Now I can make a acceptable negative. Now I can make a acceptable print. And I think about how I can use my time more effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Harder negs can frustrate me
    Yes. In last day i was print such negative..... At the end, I see in to print and understand that they too heavy (more black then needed) fore example...... I waste 3 hours uselessly..... I think that I'm stupid..... 3 hours uselessly..... And its occasionally reiterate...... Or I reprint My "Prints" in a few days or weeks.

But now I see that I'm no one...
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Hi,

what size is your print? For 27x40 cm print I need also about one - two hours. First I scan negatives, and then decide what to print bu looking on computer. Then I make a test with small paper (cca 10x15 cm) on one or two most important part of image: exposing 10sec, 20sec, 30 sec or similar - to get exposure time right. After that I print final print. But sometimes when print dries I look at it - and print again.

This is with perfect negative - where no burning and dodging are necessary.
    And now I see that 2-3 hours upon 1 print (30*30 sm) is not many.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Your english skills are better than mine and I have 1400 posts. So you can post more. When I was working at a photograph studio , I made 100 000 school children portraits in 33 days , with a manual controlled machine , and I was printing hundreds of wedding prints , every night. And the 35 mm customers prints daily. I was standing on the machine 14 hours a day , 7 days a week.
    It's very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi

no need to apologize for your english.

when you get more practice you will be faster, i can't really explain what i do very well because i don't really think about it when i print.
    learn a system that works with you, and your film+paper
    ... practice makes perfect.

In this moment I learn my film+paper..... But I have some troubles with finding point near pure white and pure black with some detail and this troubles bring me reprint..... But i hope that A. Adams help me:

As the final step in evaluating the negative, I repeat that it is best to use a soft grade of paper to make a proof or first print. The print may be visually flat, but the purpose is to reveal all the information available in the negative, especially the texture and detail in the extreme values. This stage is important not because we may perceive something unexpected, but because we will be able to judge the expressive potential of different areas in relation to our original visualization. From this point we can increase the contrast as necessary in progressive trials, and use local controls like burning and dodging, and others.
    I find it far better to work from softer papers up to the appropriate contrast grade than to make the first print too harsh; it seems to be difficult to “work down” in contrast, just as it might be difficult to adjust to a string quartet after listening to a brass choir!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Monito View Post
    Take whatever time you need to make the quality you want. Aim for quality first, speed second. Speed comes with experience. It's fairly standard to make a few test strips, a work print, a trial dodged & burned print, and then the final print.

I can make any number of prints as quickly as you want if you don't care about quality.

Much depends on who the client is. If the client is your Aunt who just wants some snapshots of her dog, then perhaps it would be faster. If you are the client, preparing prints for a gallery show of your work, then it can take forever or nearly that long.

There is almost always room to improve quality. Aim at that and you'll get the greatest satisfaction.
    Thanks, it's sensible advice......
    My client is I'm. ))))))
    But now I prepare 15-17 prints for exhibition.....

This topic for me is important source of information. Opinions of people who lives in others countries very important.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the negatives but I can turn out about 16 different exhibtion prints in a printing session of about 5-6 hours, there would usually be a couple of copies of each image.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin