Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,103   Posts: 1,612,713   Online: 852

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unsharp masks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing about masking is it involves quite a bit of plain old trial and error (and practice, of course). Not only handling the film in the dark etc, but then figuring out the right exposure and development, and how to visually judge the mask. There aren't a lot of definitive measurements you can make at the outset that tell you how long to expose the mask, how long to develop it, what developer dilution to use, how dense the mask should be etc. It takes experience. So don't be discouraged if the first attempts are all over the place. Keep working on it. Along the way, just by doing it, you'll probably figure out little ways of making things easier and solving problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the encouragement.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    For color contrast control masks I use FP4+ in TMax RS developer. Gives a nice neutral colored mask. I use a pin register system from Alistair Inglis. I use the same film and developer for the few unsharp masks I have made for black and white negatives too, just because I had the approximate process worked out.

I also use 4x5 film for both 4x5 and 120 masks. I have never made a mask for 35mm, so I don't know how well it works. If I were to do so I would cut the film down to save money.
    Making the mask in the dark is easy, it's getting it aligned when you want to use it that's hard without a registration system.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use the ortho-litho, in dektol. Make sure you pre-wet your mask as the development time is quick and you might get streaks. I make it unsharp by putting the support side to support side. That's usually enough for me.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2723189&type=1

These are from my Facebook account, I have a few images of me doing an unsharp mask.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin