Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,677   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Simple enlarger recommendations for 35mm only.

Initially I was thinking to scan and print but that seems not so funny. So, I am looking to get myself one enlarger for 35mm only.

I shoot only black and white and planning to print not more than 8x10. In further I have no willing to move to any other formats other than 35mm.

Any suggestions regarding enlargers?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is likely that any used enlarger you find will do 35mm, will have a 50mm enlarging lens and most lenses are capable of sharp 8x10 output if stopped down to f/8 or f/11. Probably doesn't matter much which brand you choose.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Harry says, any enlarger you can find will print 35mm. The main thing about the enlarger is the lens itself. Get the best you can within your budget.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be honest, I do not even know the name of the manufacturers.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I have to recommend one, I prefer the Durst 305 colour. A Meopta Opemus is also nice, as is a Kaiser or a Dunco. When it comes to lenses, I like the Nikon 50/2.8 which is a well made and bright lens, which makes focussing on the baseboard easy. The Nikon 50/4 is a good one, too.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd suggest getting an enlarger that will handle 120 as well as 35mm, there will be minimal cost differances but greater flexibility. I've picked up 3 in the past 2-3 years for nothing people kust throw them out. I donated 2 Meoptas to an Irish workshop group..

The Meopta's are well built, as are Jobo and Durst.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd recommend Meopta enlargers, too. Built like tanks. The Opemus is a medium format enlarger (you just change the masks for 35mm).

The 35 mm version is called the 'Axomat'.

But as the other guys say - look around and you might find one very cheap or even free, so the brand is less important.

Save you cash for a really good lens and spend some time cleaning the condensers and / or filters (whichever it has) and setting it up properly (everything flat and parallel).

Personally I prefer condenser heads to diffuser. Traditionally condensers are more for black and white, diffusers tend to be for colour enlargers, but some people like to use them for black and white, too - but it is personal preferences (and there isn't all that much difference, really, until you get to the 'pro' stuff with more complex light sources). D
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh I see that you are in Germany. I have a Beseler 7 with the dichroic head in excellent condition. I am thinking about giving it away but I can't ship to Germany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be honest, I do not even know the name of the manufacturers.
    I can advise you: Dunco, Kienzle, Kaiser (all in German production, actual) or Leitz V35. But for the last one the HLX Philips bulbs are discontinued. You need an adapter from Kienzle, (they are making Leitz spare parts too), for using a standard Osram HLX type. The V35 is 35mm only, Dunco 35mm - 6x7cm, Kienzle have different formats, also 35mm only, and Kaiser 35mm till 6x9cm. the V35 and Kienzle can have auto focus too.

I think with above mentioned brands you can not go wrong. All parts are also available, when necessary even new production.

best regards,

Роберт
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some years ago I picked up a used Beseler dichro 35S just to do 35mm. It is sometimes a bit bright, but an ND filter takes care of that well. Otherwise, it is an exceptionally solid piece of equipment. The base is too small for anything bigger than 11X14, but I never do anything bigger than that from 35mm anyway. I find it is useful to devote an enlarger just to this format. The big enlarger requires a mixing chamber change to get good illumination with the small negative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin