Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,177   Online: 841

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Questions about my new Omega D2(V?) Precision 4x5 carrier???

Attached are pictures of my new (to me) Omega D2, which I believe is a D2V, despite not saying it specefically on the side. Right now, it's set up for a cold-light head, of which i'm unsure of the origin. I have a few questions about this enlarger.

Why does my cold light head have two power cords? It operates fine using only one, the two pronged one, yet it has both a two prong and three prong cord. I've only tried the two pronged one, since that's the outlet in my bathr... cough... darkroom, so i don't know if the second does anything.

Secondly, can I print formats other than 35mm with this thing? Where do the negative carriers go, directly below the cold light head/in between it and the massive 4x5 carrier?

Thirdly, has anyone ever seen a "Precision negative carrier" before? I'm impressed, it's a pretty solid piece of metal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SSC_6418.JPG   SSC_6412.JPG   SSC_6411.JPG   SSC_6409.JPG   SSC_6408.JPG  

www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my D2V to print from 35mm to 4x5 regularly. You will need different lenses of course, but most important you will need the appropriate lens mounts for each one. There are at least 3 mounting "cones" for the D2V. These are used for 35mm > 120, 120 > 4x5 and 4x5 alone. That is a rough breakdown.

I have converted my D2V to hold a Beseler color head. I still use the same 3 cones and lenses as well as the negative carriers.

All of my carriers are double notched to fit (and lock) between the platen and the condenser.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a 135mm Elgeet and a 75mm Schneider. I also have a 50mm Schneider, but I'm lending it to a friend. Do I use a flat lensboard for doing 35mm or do I still use a cone? I have two cones, one is 4.5-5 inches deep, the other is about 3 inches deep.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    50 and 80-90mm enlarging lenses need no cone.
    You can print up to 6x7 maybe 6x9 depending.

The longer cones are for 4x5 with either a 135mm or longer lens.
    I had an old wollensack enlarging raptor that came with my D2 and it was something like 142mm or 152mm or some odd focal length. I think that lens needed the longest cone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In terms of the two cords. Many cold lights have a heater circuit powered by one cord and the lamp itself is powered by the other cord. What happens is that when the light powers on it is dim and it gets brighter as it warms up. The heater circuit keeps the lamp warm, that means that when the lamp powers on it stays at the same intensity throughout the exposure.
    There is still some fluctuation of intensity on power-up, but usually it is good enough of a system for most B&W printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are also these rails on the base of my enlarger... What are these for?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    You have a DV condenser head, but the enlarger appears to be a DII—not a D2.

The DII has a “push-pull” carriage to raise and lower the carriage along the column.

The D2 has a geared elevation crank to adjust the carriage height.

The DII has a unique base column casting with a single large locking knob to secure the column to the base casting as can be seen in photo #2.

You can view the various “Discontinued Enlargers” in the Omega line here along with a description of the accessories and their Omega part numbers.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

The negative carrier is Condite Manufacturing Precision Negative Carrier for the DII and D2. This is an aftermarket product having nothing to do with the enlarger maker Simmon Brothers Omega.

The rails on the baseboard are also aftermarket. They’re likely to locate a dedicated easel, possibly an easel for handling continuous roll paper.

The following lens mounts are made for the DII:

3400 Flat Mount (for 50-105mm lenses) (later part #421-100)

3408 Flat Mount with threaded cup for 50mm Leica camera lenses) ( later part# 421-021)

3404 Lens Cone 2¾" (for 105mm to 135mm lenses) (later part #421-101)

3406 Lens Cone 4½" (for 150mm to 162mm lenses) (later part #421-102)

For 35mm enlarging you’d need a 40mm wide-angle or a 50mm lens on a flat board.

The 75mm lens is for negatives of 6 x 4.5 cm up to 6 x 6cm but could be used for old 4 x 4cm negatives on 127 film. This also mounts on a flat board.

The 135mm Elgleet is a somewhat wide-angle enlarging lens intended for 4” x 5” negatives. It requires the 2 3/4” lens cone.

Each of these lens boards and cones requires the lens be mounted onto the lens disc, and the lens disc and lens is then mounted onto the appropriate flat board or cone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent info Ian.
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Ian, I removed the precision carrier (as cool as it was) and the rails were getting in the way, so I took them off too. Now, I'm ready to start printing! Once I get negative carriers... I guess i can make some out of mat board.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin