Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,305   Online: 769

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

enlarger image is always small

Hi
    I just purchased a De vere 504 with an Ilford 500H head. The enlarger is fitted with Nikon 50mm f2.8 lens.

The problem i have is that I can only get a sharp image when set the enlarger for a very small print. For a 35mm negative the image is only a few inches long side. Even then the bellows have to be closed tight. If I try for a bigger enlargement it is impossible to focus. I have tried a 6x7 negative and get the same problem but I can print a little larger - around 6inches on the long side.

I am using the correct light mixing box's and negative holders- changing them appropriately.

I took off the lens and checked to ensure make sure it was seated correctly and screwed into place properly. I noticed the back element was loose. I tightened by hand and replaced. I still have the same issue of not being able to get a proper enlargement.
    Have I missed something basic in the setup of the enlarger ?

manythanks

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Maybe the lens board is a problem.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks. I thought that too. But Ive checked and it fits snugly in place and is the right way round.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not familiar with that enlarger, but it sounds like you need a recessed lensboard to get the lens closer to the negative.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks all for your help.
    Infact your both right. It IS a lensboard problem. I found a manual and as Richard said the lens board is wrong - my board is flat. It should be as you say Richard recessed.

Now to try to find one!

Many thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here's one in the UK. This might or might not be practical, depending on where you're located.

I believe that this is likely 39mm Leica thread, but you’d have to contact the seller to be sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERE-504-REC...item25686b3235

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It wouldn't be cheap, but KHB may very well have it. Here is their page on the 504:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/devere....htm#Lensboard
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be careful, there are three different 39mm "Leica" threads, and they're not inter-mateable.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try a longer lens.
    Of course this depends on how big you want to print 35mm but if you intend to print from larger negatives (you say that you have tried with a 6x7cm negative) you will need something with a larger coverage than EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 anyway.

Lenses are often easier to find today than lensboards and not very expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you raised the enlarger head?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin