Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,063   Online: 831

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lith film negative. Enlarged or in contact. If you want it in the image area do the exposure separate from image. Used to be common in labs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once had some 4x5 film holders that had a strip of acetate or other clear material that had a number that would imprint directly to the negative.

I think it was at the closed darkslide end. I'm sure I still have them I just avoided them because I didn't want the numbers obscuring the image border.
    Last edited by brucemuir; 10-28-2011 at 10:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Lith film negative. Enlarged or in contact. If you want it in the image area do the exposure separate from image. Used to be common in labs.
    I think this could be it. Now that I think about it, it was lith film that he used to print his name on the medium format contact sheets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I once had some 4x5 film holders that had a strip of acetate or other clear material that had a number that would imprint directly to the negative.

I think it was at the closed darkslide end. I'm sure I still have them I just avoided them because I didn't want the numbers obscuring the image border.
    i have a grafmatic back that had a wheel with numbers ( and i removed it ) ... it would burn the number onto the film as you said ..
    i forgot about that until you mentioned it ... but seeing i never used it, i don't even know if the numbers would have been black or white

john
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea, I had a 2x3 grafmatic that had those too...

I think,
    Sounds very familiar.

X. Phot.
    Just saw this in Popular Science Feb '37 - To leave a white signature, simply write it on the photographic paper with a soft lead pencil prior to exposure. The pencil lead will wash out during development.

I haven't tested this yet. But it sounds reasonable. I can imagine that some papers won't take to pencil lead very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by X. Phot. View Post
    Just saw this in Popular Science Feb '37 - To leave a white signature, simply write it on the photographic paper with a soft lead pencil prior to exposure. The pencil lead will wash out during development.

I haven't tested this yet. But it sounds reasonable. I can imagine that some papers won't take to pencil lead very well.
    but x.phot ...
    is there an article on leaving a BLACK signature ?
    white signatures are easy

X. Phot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    but x.phot ...
    is there an article on leaving a BLACK signature ?
    white signatures are easy
    I started to read another article elsewhere that described making an opaque mask to cover the entire photographic paper. In the area of the mask that should contain the signature block, a window was cut to the appropriate size. The window contains a piece of film that has an image the signature (in negative). After exposing the primary photograph, the mask is placed over the photographic paper and the signature is exposed to the desired density.

I believe Polyglot, Erikg and others have mentioned a similar method.
    Last edited by X. Phot.; 10-29-2011 at 10:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    This is usually how this would be done. If enlarged, a second enlarger could be set up to project the signature. If contact printed, it could be done most easily with a contact proofer that had a box with individually switchable bulbs and a timer, and it would make the exposure when the lid was closed.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a piece of tracing paper the other night to print my exposure times onto some contact sheets and it ended up looking really cool. But of course that's white...

Writing your name on acetate with a nice black ink pen, and then copying this onto a high-contrast film (with as much density in the blacks as possible) would give you two different signatures; one to use in light areas and one to use in dark areas. Something like Worker's flash-light would have to be devised of course.

Imagine the possibilities with color papers and different colored inks, gels, lights...

It'd be really cool to just find some pen-light with a really narrow beam and you could sign your print directly.

Lastly, how about a rubber stamp pressed on a pad of Farmer's Reducer. But what chemical to create the black???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin