Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,395   Online: 872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does anyone print Kentmere 400?

For some reason, I feel that this film isn't very popular. It seems to have a reputation for coarse grain, which I have found with scanning. I have developed it in Rodinal, D-76 and HC-110, all with similar results.

However recently I have been making wet prints, and the tones are lovely with very little grain! Indeed a number of my friends remarked how smooth prints came out.

So I'm wondering if anyone else is printing this film?
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't printed Kentmere 400 (also known as Rollei RPX 400) yet but I'm definitely going to and read your message with great interest. What comes to development my experiences are that undiluted Xtol or D-76 work well with this film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am currently in the process of testing Kentmere film for my self. I was very happy with the 100 film for processing and printing. I just love the evenness of the prints. It is definitely going to be a favorite until the price sky rockets or the quit making it which seems to be the case for a lot of my "favorites". So I ordered more + the 400. I will be using ID-11 1-1 or Rodinal developers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.JPG  
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 11-06-2011 at 04:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot and developed 2 rls of the Kentmere 400 (EI800) on Sunday. Developed Ilford ID-11 1-1. I have included a scan of a negative that shows the grain. With it being a 30% crop I fail to see why grain would be a problem with this film. "Its called grain and it is suppose to be there". Definitely a film I will always carry in my kit.
    Next test will be with Rodinal developer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kentmere 400 @ 800 1-1 ID-11043.jpg  
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 11-07-2011 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That grain is gorgeous!!! I want some grain in my prints - god forbid someone might mistake them for cheap digital prints!!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yep, the 400 film is great, at a good price too. Works fine for printing and grain... with XTOL 1+1, it has a smidge more grain than HP5+. Looks good on paper, too. I really like the 100 film even more, but the lazy part of me does not want to schlepp around my heavy tripod for a tiny Nikon F2 and a 50. I need more discipline, I suppose. Or a lighter tripod.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I uploaded a sample print to the gallery of Kentmere 400. It was printed on "kabine" size Fujiblo paper - 12x 16.5cm (4 3/4 x 6 1/2)

I've been having luck with HC-110 recently. I develop at 10c (probably not recommended) but the results are nice. Rodinal is okay, but more pronounced grain.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    I haven't printed Kentmere 400 (also known as Rollei RPX 400) yet but I'm definitely going to and read your message with great interest. .
    What source of information do you have that suggests that an Ilford film is the same film as Rollei RPX400?It was my understanding that Ilford will not make the same film for someone else and simply allow them to re-badge it

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    What source of information do you have that suggests that an Ilford film is the same film as Rollei RPX400?It was my understanding that Ilford will not make the same film for someone else and simply allow them to re-badge it

Thanks

pentaxuser
    The now discontinued Rollei RPX400 is coated by ilford with German made emulsion by Agfa. Dont know it Ilford is coating Kentmere or the old Kentmere plant is taken over by ilford.

I like the 400 better than the 100. Based on shooting several hundreds of rolls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YG3_US.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post

Thanks

pentaxuser

I was buying bricks of tri-x at B&H about 6 months ago and the guy there was trying to push Kentemere on me as "the same as HP5", but for half the price. He was an older guy and my experience with him is that he knows his $#!t. Take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin