Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,952   Online: 789

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Red safety filter - Besler Dual Dichro Color Head on 23CII

Wise folks -

I have a 23CII with a dual dichro color head. It didnt come with a red safety filter for the filter drawer or one under the lens (this model doesnt typically have that as far as I can Google?).

So I wonder if I can dial the yellow and magenta on the color head to say 200 each and then have a 'red safety filter'? Or will that not cut it? Do I need to buy a red safety filter to slide in and out of the above the lens filter slot, then pull before printing?

When printing B/W, sometimes I want to take a gander at my paper, easel before exposing; for e.g., to practice dodging and buring, etc before 'going live' and I want a safety filter but I just have this idea that if I dial the magenta to 200 and yellow to 200 on the color head I will have my 'red safety filer' without having to buy one? Or do I really need to buy one?

What do all you other 23CII folks do if you want a red safety filter on the enlarger? Can I hack it with the color head dials?

Best,
    Andy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use a #25 red filter in the drawer, pickup a used "junker" from a local camera shop, that fits in the drawer.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure, but you should test it. Many people do the 'dry run' dodge and burn with no paper in the easel. But if you want to get your dodge paddle in position and flip the filter out, then dialing outr 'red filter' with the color head and re-dialing in the multigrade filtration will be quite inconvenient. Unless you are printing with non-multigrade graded paper with white light. In that case, you can quickly flip the M&Y filters out with the 'white light' lever if you head has one. Easiest thing is to just get some Roscoe primary red filter for the filter drawer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Excellent ideas!

Is this it: Rosco E Colour 106 Primary Red
    B&H:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...imary_Red.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rosco makes filters that correspond to Wratten filters, both in numbering and transmission curves.

For a #25 red...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Orange.html
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use that Rosco red for all kinds of stuff, from making the illuminated scales on my enlarger "safe" to making a "safe" flashlight for lith printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin