Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,260   Online: 818

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    I think that before you sign up for any workshop, you should determine what you hope to learn, and if the workshop will address those skills.

Rick has the right idea, the negative is the first step to a good print, but we don't always have the ability to start with a good negative. So the next step is to develop an eye for what is possible from a given negative. If you have anyone near you who is willing, perhaps ask them to print one of your negatives to see how they would interpret it, and explain how they did it.

Hopefully, that would provide an indication of the skills you would like to learn and practice.

As an aside, there seems to be two basic schools of thought when it comes to printing: Those who prefer basic prints that can be produced with straight-forward technique. And those who produce prints using a wide variety of darkroom techniques on the same print. While I admire (and envy) the second sort, my heart is with the first group.

For clarification: I consider basic techniques to include exposure, contrast and simple dodge/burns. Advanced techniques would include multiple dodge/burns, different developers, pre-flashing, bleaching and so on.

Just my $.02

Paul, this would be a great opportunity to offer a "negative" swap of sorts. Anyone willing to send a negative to anyone willing to print for them. We would probably have to limit format size to 135 or 6x6(6x7,6x9 and 4x5 possible), leaving it up to the printer to decide the final outcome, along with details of how it was arrived at.
    The negative donor would also need to provide details of the exposure. In the past I have developed and proofed film for a couple of neophytes and given them a critique of their shooting problems. This is our opportunity to help some new kids out.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rudolf View Post
    Well, I wonder what is the easy way to get the knowledge from workshops you are talking about in my case - guy living in Europe.
    I suspect there are lots of great workshops in London, i'm thinking Rudman, Waite, Cornish (more d.g.t.l), Ephraums (if he still does them). When i was in death valley with Barnbaum, there was a fellow from Austria having a great time photographing and enjoying the American West. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Paul, this would be a great opportunity to offer a "negative" swap of sorts. Anyone willing to send a negative to anyone willing to print for them. We would probably have to limit format size to 135 or 6x6(6x7,6x9 and 4x5 possible), leaving it up to the printer to decide the final outcome, along with details of how it was arrived at.
    The negative donor would also need to provide details of the exposure. In the past I have developed and proofed film for a couple of neophytes and given them a critique of their shooting problems. This is our opportunity to help some new kids out.
    I think it's a cool idea. The Photographic Society of America has groups that do this within its print section. I'm in two groups that share completed prints of our own negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I, for one, am willing to help out any neophyte who would like to have a print made from any negative of their choosing, within reason. I can handle 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and 4x5. I will even develope your roll film(or 4x5) B&W only, no color. If you are having problems, just send me a PM and I will try to help you out.

cheers
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sexton does this sort of thing if you take the second printing workshop. In advance of the workshop he send the participants copies of one of his negatives to print and then bring to the workshop. It's a deceptively difficult excercise, because one of the things you have to decide is whether to try and make a print you imagine John would be impressed with, or attempt to put that out of your mind and make your own honest interpretation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    I suspect there are lots of great workshops in London, i'm thinking Rudman, Waite, Cornish (more d.g.t.l), Ephraums (if he still does them). When i was in death valley with Barnbaum, there was a fellow from Austria having a great time photographing and enjoying the American West. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Absolutely true. But sometimes also money matters.
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin