Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,657   Online: 1252

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fine printing workshops

Hello! There is so much "white noise" out there regarding workshops via advertisements, etc that it's hard to know which ones are worthwhile. For a long time I had in the back of my mind that I'd eventually go to a printing workshop with Per Volquartz, but sadly I missed my opportunity.

I'm at a frustrating plateau in my printing skills where I can't quite get that expressive print that I know is in there. It's that extra little bit that takes it from a record of what I saw up to an expression of what I felt. I nail it sometimes, but it's usually by accident.

So, is there a good workshop that can help me in this area? Anywhere in the continental U.S. would be just fine.

Thanks for your help, as always!

Chris
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Expressive Print with John Sexton. He also offers a follow-up workshop "Fine Tuning The Expressive Print" for people who have taken the first one. The other workshop that was truly awesome was when George Tice taught at the Maine workshops. That was very hands-on (which the Sexton workshop is not) and a lot of work but sadly doesn't exist anymore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you say the Sexton workshop is not "hands-on" what do you mean?
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just mean you will not personally be printing in the workshop. You'll have to bring a portfolio of prints to present, and also bring the negatives since it can be very helpful for John to look at your actual negatives. The film development, darkroom, and printing skills are demonstrated by John in his darkroom (with assistance from his wife Anne Larsen, who works closely with John and is a fine photographer and printmaker herself). Anne also does some additional excellent demonstrations on spotting, finishing and mounting.

It is an excellent workshop full of information, and John is very open about anything you are interested in asking. As a plus, since he worked closely with Ansel Adams, you'll get to hear some great stories, and see alot of interesting eye-openers like straight prints of Ansel's Moonrise.

Back when I attended there was also an afternoon field trip to Point Lobos one day, where you could either do some photography on your own, or hang out with John while he demonstrated metering and view camera technique.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Chris. I've been meaning to attend Barnbaum's "complete process" and "master printing class" for a long time, but unfortunately they are out of my meager budget. I had the chance to take one of his workshops here on the east coast, and I can say that not only he is a great teacher, but also one the finest printers I know, and a great guy too. His photographs just glow. Here is the link to his site http://barnbaum.com/barnbaum/Workshops.html. I have to make it a new year's resolution to take one of these two workshops in 2012. Good luck!

Axel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't taken a Barnbaum workshop, but based on everything I've read of his, I REALLY don't like his approach.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Barnbaum's prints are amazing in person. His teaching skills are also excellent. I discussed his printing workshop with him while attending his Death Valley photo workshop. They sound very hands-on, although he was doing less of them in light of decreased demand at the time (2009). He will schedule one on one sessions if you prefer. Either way, I have no doubt it would be a fine investment. If life hadn't gotten so busy recently, I'd be going this year myself. No doubt there are other great workshops, but don't underestimate Barnbaum.

B.t.w., does Bob Carnie do workshops? He sounds like a great resource as well.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Right. You have to find a photographer whose work you admire, and then maybe you'll have the chance to take a workshop if this photographer actually teaches. I also like the work of Roman Loranc, but as far as I know he doesn't do workshops. Again, I took a workshop with Barnbaum, also read his handbook, and being in a similar situation as yours (I don't know your actual printing skills), I learned a great deal from Bruce.

Regards,

Axel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for the replies! I'll be looking into all your suggestions. I think I lean towards the idea of a hands-on workshop, although it hadn't really occured to me it would be done another way. If classroom style covers my needs, I'd certainly consider it.

Have a good weekend!
    Chris
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I took a Barnbaum workshop at Photographers' Formulary a number of years ago. It was very hands on, and it combined both printing and analysis of prints. I came away thinking I hadn't learned much (although I had a lot of fun), but a few years later I realized that I had learned a great deal. He also conducts more intensive workshops at his place in Washington. I can certainly recommend him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin