Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,410   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Selective Masking

I read an ol' article on masking, but I'm still not too sure about the process or how it works.
    Can anyone recommend good detailed literature or step-by-step CD/video on the process?
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lootens 8th Ed. that I have provides a chapter with details and pictures of the process. Chapter 12 on combination printing.

It details a the process of selecting negatives, making the masks, and determining exposure times.

You can find it at your library, or a dollar or two online as a used book. Not sure if there is an electronic copy available. Try google too.

Also, though I haven't gotten to that section yet, in Way beyond Monochrome, Cedar Falls section details masking for selective burning in.
    Last edited by Newt_on_Swings; 11-27-2011 at 07:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce Barnbaums book is great. Order it on his website. This is a small PDF with an introduction i have made:http://www.tmax100.com/photo/pdf/mak...largeprint.pdf

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Lynn Radeyka has a kit/book and gives masking classes. I have the kit and went to a class; it was very informative.
    http://www.radekaphotography.com/
    then click the "Masking Kits" button on the left

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My opinion, don't waste your time with Barnbaum's book (on any topic actually). It gives no detail or methodology on masking. If you want to learn about masking without necessarily taking a workshop, Lynn Radeka's kits (which also include information compiled from others such as Mark Jilg and Dennis McNutt) have good explanations and step by step techniques. Howard Bond's articles are also a good source. For selective masking (pencil shading etc) Alan Ross is a great source. There are of course master printers such as John Sexton who teach masking but it's part of their workshops.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    My opinion, don't waste your time with Barnbaum's book (on any topic actually). It gives no detail or methodology on masking.
    I appreciate the heads-up on this. I was looking at his book on amazon last night after reading this thread and saw that his section on masking was a listed as a single page in the table of contents. It can't be very informative if he only devotes one page to cover the topic while other people use entire chapters and even volumes to cover simpler techniques than masking.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear PhotoBob,

Post Exposure has a detailed description of contrast masking (unsharp mask).

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I appreciate the heads-up on this. I was looking at his book on amazon last night after reading this thread and saw that his section on masking was a listed as a single page in the table of contents. It can't be very informative if he only devotes one page to cover the topic while other people use entire chapters and even volumes to cover simpler techniques than masking.
    It has a few paragraphs and a diagram, which gives the reader a bit of an overview on what masks are and what they might be used for. But if someone wants to get a real understanding of how masks work, the various applications, different types of masks and how to actually make them (materials, procedures etc), Barnbaum's book doesn't have any of that. Radeka's masking kit is excellent for this. And for selective masking, pencil shading etc, Alan Ross's selective masking kit tells you all about how to do that. And I might add when I had additional questions or thoughts on things to try, both Lynn Radeka and Alan Ross were very helpful and responsive by email. This is definitely a plus.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Does anybody know if Radeka sells or distributes the articles without having to purchase the kit? I have the equipment, but I am interested in the information.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "kit" is actually just the printed material. It doesn't include equipment/hardware unless you add that stuff to your order. I bought just the kit. It's all available on Lynn's website: maskingkits.com. After I bought the literature I decided I wanted to buy a few hardware odds and ends (registration pins), but not a full registration carrier kit. I contacted him and he sold me the pieces I needed. He's very helpful and graciously answered my follow-up questions too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin