Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 675

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Focomat Ic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Newton Rings are a problem and you can't find the AN filter, there is a very cheap and efficient solution. The aim is to place a tiny bit of space between the surfaces of the neg and the condenser. So, what do you do? Well, with a scalpel just cut a hole slightly larger than 24x36mm into the center of a strip of 120 film. You may need to give it a few tries to get a decent cut. Once you have that done, you simply secure the neg with tape on the neg carrier in order that it stays nicely flat; put the perforated strip of 120 film on top and finally lower the condenser. Works great for me. I also have the AN glass, although with bit of muck on it that won't come off, so I prefer this method.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Black round heads need the short neck bulb, the grey oblong can take the common long neck bulb.
    The grey oblong head, normally with filter drawer in the head, was designed for an alternative 150 watt bulb. The higher watt bulb would be useful for color printing or very big enlargements. The older back heads are fine with recommended replacement bulbs. Raise the socket to the highest position for added safety.

I never experience Newton rings with my 1c. The 1c silver slider which raises the condenser can be position so all the condenser's weight is not on the negative. In effect a spacer.

I did experience rings one time with a Valoy. The Valoy condenser rested firmer on the negative. When I figured it out I created a thin shim on the negative carrier. I could also keep the condenser raised slightly but it is not as convenient as on the 1c.

The 1c makes it easy to spot dust on the negative. There is a clear view of the negative when you tilt the head back. The helical vs bellows reduces hiding places for dust. Once the condenser is positioned on the negative there is little opportunity for dust to migrate onto the negative from outside the enlarging head.

I use the 1c when I want black borders -- it does them perfectly. The glass of the condensor and the Focotar 50 mm f4.5 lens as well as the anti-Newton glass is excellent, and the autofocus is spot-on after I adjusted it according to the instructions. I use the 1c when I want black borders. Print quality between the two enlargers is practically identical.
    I agree. I had a V35 and sold it for the less expensive, smaller 1c.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-23-2012 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine has 75 watt bulb with fixed head. The negative carrier is plastic and the condensor part sits firmly when slider is moved. I did not see any Newton-Rings yet but I see dust strands very clearly. Hopefully, it is possible to clean by blowing compressed air.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does anyone have a picture of a good solution (film, paper or otherwise) to newton rings from their Ic?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I don't have a picture. When I first saw them I thought I had bad paper. The print looked mottled. I saw what seemed to be a smudge. It is easy to eliminate Newton rings by just raising the condenser off the negative. Rings are more likely in high humidiy.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it very simple and easy to use multigrade filters on my focomate Ic w/o a filter draw is to place the filters on the condensor just below the bulb. There is no optical 'impurity' problems in this way. The head slips on/off very easily. Try it, it might work well for you.
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin