Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,071   Online: 724

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a lot of experience on both machines, the darkroom I teach in has 3 of the D6700's, and one 6600(plain black and white head). and I have the 670XL in my personal darkroom at home.

You would want to hedge your bets on the 670XL, it is the better machine. LPL build quality is top notch on both machines, but the 670XL has certain advantages:

Longer center column for bigger enlargements
    Ability to easily spin enlarger around on base for floor enlargements
    Allows for tilting of the head, and tilting of the bellows for perspective correction or wall enlargement
    Has a larger standard baseboard for a working surface
    There is a locking switch for negative carriers which I like

Advantages of the 6700:
    Very stable, and keeps alignment well as there are not many variables for adjustment of head
    Raising and lowering the head is very easy, you just squeeze on column lever and push up or down, but not too precise
    You don't need a separate power brick on the side

I would advise you to get the 670xl, hunting for carriers is a pain, and the 50mm 2.8 lens is optimal for 35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dousterhout View Post
    zsas... right now she only has a 35 mil.... but I know she would like whatever she can get into... I think someone called it GAS... something "access syndrome"?

Mattking... thanks... I was at that site, but I couldn't find the 670, so I was confused... So the DXL670 is the same as the 7700 series?
    Yes - in the USA the 7700 series machines are designated as 670, while the 6700 machines are designated that way worldwide.

If it were me, I would go for the heavier duty machine - the 670 (aka 7700) series. But I understand why you might want to forgo the extra cost and delay of obtaining the additional carrier and lens so as to be ready to go with 35mm.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, do pardon me, I think there's a confusion somewhere. Based on the first post, the 670 DXL, the more sturdy machine already comes with negative carrier and easel. Whereas the 6700, lower configured enlarger does not. So, IMHO, it's a no brainier to choose the 670DXL.

Mansur

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all SO MUCH for the wonderful help. I really appreciate your thoughtful and prompt replies. It is so great to be able to find a forum like this with so many subject area experts who are willing to help new folks.

I hope I can get my daughter to realize how valuable, and fun, this kind of online experience can be... versus just facebook type activity.

Hopefully today we will be able to "seal the deal" on the 670. I guess the next step will be finding all the accutraments (pans, tanks, thermometers, timers, lights, etc...)

Thanks again... and we will keep you posted.

Dean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chioque View Post
    Matt, do pardon me, I think there's a confusion somewhere. Based on the first post, the 670 DXL, the more sturdy machine already comes with negative carrier and easel. Whereas the 6700, lower configured enlarger does not. So, IMHO, it's a no brainier to choose the 670DXL.

Mansur
    You are, of course, right .

This confusion makes one wonder why the US distributor chooses to use the model designations they do - is it because they want to be sure that "67" is in both model numbers?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It's because we here in the States are trained to think XL is always "better" and in this case DXL, as in "double extra large", it is even better! It's not the model number we fixate on, it's the extension (ie iPhone 4...no iPhone 4S). Kinda half kidding here, but in all seriousness, this does confuse 6700 v 670 DXL...
    Last edited by zsas; 12-01-2011 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well.... it looks like the seller decided to keep their 670 DXL....or... 7700... so.... we are back to looking for an affordable one.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dean

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    This is a easy choice. The color pro lens is of better quality. The 670 gives you the negative carrier, easel and you can use the dichro filters vs buying a contrast filter set. I have a 670 and it's column is more stable than the 6700. The 670 base board is a few inches larger and will be appreciated with enlargements of 8x12 or larger. My bet is not many prints will be made over 8x10 but if you need to the larger baseboard is nice.

I would not recommend doing chemical color. However, B&W is simple and silver fiber prints can look nicer than digital.

670 Disadvantages:

The LPL 670 is larger and heavier (10 or 15 lbs) than the 6700. The transformer is an additional 10 lbs. Not a big consideration.

6700 Disadvantage:

Smaller baseboard, not as sturdy as 670, does not have tilts on the head, may not be a diffused light source which helps suppress dust, largest negative size 6x6, has a poor quality lens for not optimized for 35mm, and is not complete with carriers.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm
    OK.. so the original deal fell through and we are back to square one. If we can find a bare bones 670 DXL without a lens.... and we can find some reasonable, or free, accessories, including lens, will any lens fit any enlarger? Or, are there specific sizes for each manufacturer?

Dean

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Craigslist is often a great place to look? Sometimes the equipment is junk, othertimes a gem, we can try to help you best we can. Lenses typically work on all enlargers so long as the right lens mount is avail. Generally you want a 50mm lens for 35mm photography enlarging. Your daughter I believe you said is starting w 35mm, so that is what you should aim for, an enlarger with a 50mm lens (a Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock brand is usually a great score), a negative carrier for 35mm and some other items can usually be gotten for next to nothing. I just opened up craigslist, is this close to you? It looks like an Omega B22, this might be a good start? What do others feel re this one?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/for/2734029530.html

Of course it should be tested, i.e., you and or your daughter should find the manual and make sure at the time you show up to test an enlarger, you all are familure with how it works to test it. Ask here as you wish, as we would love nothing more than to have another printer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin