Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,990   Online: 842

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Saunders 670 Enlarger versus 6700

Hello All,

My daughter wants a dark room and wants to focus on B&W, but may want to do color at some time in the future.

We have the option to pick up a Saunders Enlarger LPL 670 DXL with color dichroic head with a Beseler ColorPro lens 50mm f. 2.8

or... Saunders LPL Dichroic colour enlarger #D6700 with a Rodenstock EL-Omegar 75mm f/4.5 lens.

They are both about the same price, but the 6700 does not have the easel or negative carriers.

We are trying to figure out what the difference between these two enlargers are? Can anyone please help us?

Thank you very much for your help... Dean

PS... I guess I should add... She is very interested in making large prints. Would you use either of these Enlargers or would you use a D2 instead? Or... something else? From what I have read, the Saunders are pretty well built with some nice features.

Thanks again, Dean
    Last edited by dousterhout; 11-30-2011 at 08:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi welcome to Apug! Does she shoot 35mm or larger i.e., medium format (6x4.5, 6x6, 6 9, etc) or larger (4x5)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try KHB Photographix' website and their LPL Enlarger Guide: http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/index.htm

KHB is in Canada, and the main model designations here are the same as the worldwide (non-USA) designations, but the listings themselves show the USA equivalents. Essentially, the lower grade enlargers are the 6700 series, and the higher grade enlargers are the 7700 series (670 series in the USA).

KHB is a great resource for information on enlargers.

But then, so is APUG .

Wish your daughter well from us.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    zsas... right now she only has a 35 mil.... but I know she would like whatever she can get into... I think someone called it GAS... something "access syndrome"?

Mattking... thanks... I was at that site, but I couldn't find the 670, so I was confused... So the DXL670 is the same as the 7700 series?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The 670 is a larger and more sturdy enlarger than the 6700. Also, the Color Pro 50mm is a better lens to make large prints than the 75mm Omegar. I use a 670 and it is a pleasure to use. It can do 16x20's easily.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well given that she is only into 35mm now, of the two options you show, provided everything is in top notch working order, I think the DXL has everything she needs (lens, carrier, enlarger and easel). The other one has no carrier ($30ish on eBay) or easel ($20ish at a Craislist usually). The 75mm lens on the 6700 might be too long for 35mm printing too, so you might need a 50mm lens too??

Gosh, all things being stated as you say, option 1 seems like a great bet! Save the money for some papers/chems/film!!!

Anyone dissent on my recommendation?

Shooter
    35mm
    Will she be able to "grow" into this if she wants more cameras with larger film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I believe both can go to 6x7, if she has aspirations for 6x9 and above neither are gonna work

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Here is a good read on the DXL

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlargers/lpl.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've removed the blades from the universal carrier and been able to print 6x9 without any problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin