Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,887   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    There is not much difference between the Rodagon and the Componon-S. Both are good lenses and when bought used condition (internal haze, separation) is probably more important than the name.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of Rodagon lenses, kept them over the Componon-S lenses, no ral difference in actual use for B&W, but the Schneiders wouldn't allow my lens turret to rotate. I have the same problem with 50m El Nikkors. I could have used different mounting plates, but the 50mm wouldn't focus when I tried it on one. The 80mm Comp-S kept banging the rear cone even with the proper plate. If you could use a 25mm mount lens, I would recommend a Wollensak 90mm for your medium format, it was designed for 6x9and does a great job running a 6x6 neg up to 16x20 on my D-6 base, excellent corner to corner coverage, no fall-off.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once pondered on the thought of getting those wollenstock and kodak ektar enlarger lenses, but costs were prohibitive. The 25mm to 29mm adapters arent cheap, and these older lenses dont go for cheap either, and dont usually start low if buying auction. The el nikkors, rodagons, and compnons can be had usually the same price or cheaper in good used condition.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Finally a subject that everybody seems to agree on!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get a second lens that is from the same series as the one you already have, the operation (click stops, aperture setting illumination and direction) will be something you are already familiar with.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If you get a second lens that is from the same series as the one you already have, the operation (click stops, aperture setting illumination and direction) will be something you are already familiar with.
    Yep, this is what I'm thinking. I'm now looking for an 80mm Componon-S to come up for sale. I see there is an older 5.6 version as well. I would like to find the newer f/4 version as it's operation is the same as my 100mm.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Depends on the specific lens and when they were made. But my own Rodagons and El Nikkors have
    been distinctly better the any of the Componon S lenses I previously used (which I sold off); and
    my Apo Rodagon lens is even better, and nearly in the league of my Apo Nikkors (which are slower
    and not avail in short focal lengths, so not directly applicable to the question). I do both color and
    black and white work using film sizes all the way from 35mm to 8x10, and have probably used over
    twenty distinct enlarging lenses. But any of these lenses would be better than the old Componons
    (vs Componon S). I have never owned an Apo Componon because they aren't made in the focal
    lengths I prefer.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    I too use both and haven't seen any difference in print quality. I'm now in a similar boat with trying to choose between a 150mm and 135mm - Rodenstock or Schneider? I think it will eventually come down to best bang for my buck - I'm happy to use either. . . .
    Amen...
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I bought a mint 50 current model componon-s, I found the results from an old Durst Neonon I won at the same time on ebay much nicer. Perhaps a bit more contrast... but the prints seemed to have more substance and the best prints from the Neonon looked better than the best from the Componon-S no matter how hard I tried. Hard to define, but it was immediately obvious and I did not use the Componon S again.

I ended up with a Nikkor 63 2.8 due to vignetting issues with 50mm lenses on my 10x8 enlarger and found this produced prints identical to the Neonon (mine is made by Pentax) but free of vignetting at wider apertures (an enlarger issue).

I also find that my 105 rodagon 5.6 distinctly superior to my 80 f4 rodagon. Both are late models in the plastic barrels. The 80mm cannot match at any aperture what the 105 will do at f6.7-8. There is more sparkle and more edge to the grain from the longer lens. You'd never think anything was wrong using the 80mm only, but next to the 105 you DO see differences in the print.

My 150 Rodagon to my 135 Componon S produce indistinguishable prints really....

... so I guess in some cases one is superior to the other, but as for a general rule, forget it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have APO-Rodagons, APO-Componons, and Rodagaon-Gs. They are pretty much the same -excellent. The only caution I would have is that both Rodenstock and Schneider have made (or do make) less expensive brands than the Rodagons and Componon-S's. These are generally inferior in some ways.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin