Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,630   Online: 786

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aren't they owned by the same parent company these days or am I confusing that with something else?

I have and use both. All are good. In general I'd spring for the -S or Apo if available.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have and use a 50mm 2.8 Apo-Rodagon and a 90mm 4.0 Apo-Rodagon and love them, especially the 90 for 6x6. I was mulling around the idea of getting an 80 F/4 for 6x6 prints larger than 16 x 20 but since I already have a 90, is there any real reason to have it?

And what about the 80 F/4 Componon-S compared to the Rodagon Apo 80 F/4?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    And what about the 80 F/4 Componon-S compared to the Rodagon Apo 80 F/4?
    Probably extremely little difference other than externals.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All my enlarging lenses are Schneider APO-Componon HM.

They're absolutely superb.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Just buy one or the other of them and make prints

If anyone here can correctly identify whether an enlarging lens was made in Kreuznach or Munchen from looking at a well made print I will give them all my Leica camera bodies for free

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right, but my other question is if I have a 90 for 6x6, would I get any benefit out of adding an 80 to the kit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Right, but my other question is if I have a 90 for 6x6, would I get any benefit out of adding an 80 to the kit?
    Elsewhere you had mentioned that you forsaw in the future having the need to do larger (20x24?) enlargements. The 80 would make a difference there, especially if you are limited in space.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While this approach has its merits, I would argue that playing with a few different lenses and choosing the ones you 'like' has its merits too. There is sample to sample variation, as well as differences in performance between lenses (tho not necessarily between brands overall, with one being better than the other).

The 50mm componon-s I have is reputedly a great lens and it is fine in use.... but when I print from my 63 Nikkor or 50 Neonon (cost about £10) I prefer the prints and I can pick them out quite easily when they are intermingled. Equally my 135 componon-s and 150 rodagon are effectively interchangeable.

Buying a few lenses and experimenting is not that time consuming and if you buy wisely you get your money back when you sell.

Quote Originally Posted by jbaphoto View Post
    Just buy one or the other of them and make prints

If anyone here can correctly identify whether an enlarging lens was made in Kreuznach or Munchen from looking at a well made print I will give them all my Leica camera bodies for free

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Probably extremely little difference other than externals.
    So the non Apo Componon S doing equally as well as the Rodagon Apo? Since this might be the lens I do bigger than 20 x 24 with, won't I see an improvement in using an Apo?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin