Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,397   Online: 824

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I really prefer something longer than "normal" per format. You'll get better field illumination and probably better
    definition near the corners, esp at relatively wide apertures. Something like 105 would be better than 75 in this respect. But forty inches is huge for medium format. A mural lens like Rodagon G might be appropriate, though it
    would be an inferior performer at ordinary scales of magnification (it's a specialty enlarging lens, not a general
    purpose one). Just depends how fussy you are and what you can spend. Think I'd rather have a 105 Apo Rodagon N instead of a G, just for the greater versatility. But even ordinary El Nikkors or Rodagons will do a pretty decent job, if you can't locate one of the Apo ones.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PS - washing large prints is easy if you find or make an oversize tray and locate one of those old
    fashioned Kodak tray siphon attachments. They work very well for one print at a time. But there are
    analogous ways to do it inexpensively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again Drew, I will take a look around for that lens. They might even have it at the rental darkroom.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    PS - washing large prints is easy if you find or make an oversize tray and locate one of those old
    fashioned Kodak tray siphon attachments. They work very well for one print at a time. But there are
    analogous ways to do it inexpensively.
    I have access to a Zone VI 20x24 washer that makes washing FB and RC prints practically a joke. But at that size, one can manage very little FB prints. It's time and space consuming.
    Washing anything larger then 20x24 in RC is easy: A hose and some space.
    But FB is another story: washing huge FB prints one by one (one hour each), add toning for archival standards (another half-hour), then careful handling to avoid creases (half an hour overall), then dry them flat, well, it quickly becomes a millionaire's game.

To me, 16x20 FB is the maximum "easily" manageable size, or 20x24 if we're talking RC just because it dries quickly and washes in 10 minutes.

All in all, good luck in your endeavors. Try not to go mad

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bathtub soaking? Seems like semi frequent agitation and loose overlapping in a bathtub might get 80% of the way there.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For my own mural darkroom in the future, I'm sure I will come up with something slick for washing, I always do well at figuring it all out. For now, the rental darkroom has what it takes to deal with these monsters.

I love problems because I love solving them.

Drew, where the heck does one locate a 105mm Rodagon G? Is it just the non-Apo version of the lens and is it F/4, 5.6....?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    (...) where the heck does one locate a 105mm Rodagon G? Is it just the non-Apo version of the lens and is it F/4, 5.6....?
    F5.6 and isn't particularly sharp below 10x magnification, but absolutely essential for 20x-30x blowups from medium format. You can get it from Munich. Used, of course.
    Last edited by darkroom_rookie; 02-25-2012 at 09:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkroom_rookie View Post
    F5.6 and isn't particularly sharp below 10x magnification, but absolutely essential for 20x-30x blowups from medium format. You can get it from Munich. Used, of course.
    Munich, no idea where or what that is other than a city, any links?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is incredibly troubling...a site that has many thousands of threads of all kinds of things but when it comes down to how one can professionally print a mural from 120 film in terms of a lens that will hold up and that I can *actually* buy and there is just no answer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bob Salomon can probably tell you where to find a Rodagon G. You can contact him at HP Marketing, which is the US distributor for Rodenstock.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin