Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,555   Online: 952

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Schneider or Rodenstock Enlarging Lens?

I currently have a Schneider 100mm/5.6 Componon-S for my 6x6 and 6x4.5 work. I'm looking at getting an 80mm for larger enlargements. My first thought was to just get the 80mm/5.6 Componon-S, but I took a look a some of the Rodenstock lenses, and while more expensive got great reviews. So now I'm wondering if I'm missing anything. Much difference between the Compnon-S and the Rodenstock enlarging lenses?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like the Componon S lenses.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Brian ,

I worked as a photograph printer at a lab , there were 3 newly bought Rodenstocks and I printed 100 000 negatives with them. Red color was hard to control and my other lab printer was keeping coming and asking how to control the reds taken at studio lights. Camera and lens Mamiya 80 mm. They were excellent at daylight but dimlight prints were hot. But I saw Rodenstock BW prints and they were excellent , great blacks and sharp whites. Rodenstock is the best bw enlarger lens I have ever seen.

I owned Schneider lenses and They were not sharp as Rodenstock and blue color was greyish. They render differently and looks old technology.

And I lost control of my hand at darkroom and Rodenstock flied from 2 meters to concrete ground. All leafs messed. I swithched the controls and everything turned normal. I said great engineering saved me.

For daylight and BW , Rodenstock is true winner.

But dimlight is orange color was strong .

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ctein did a critcal comparison test of enlarging lenses which is presented in Post Exposure and available on his website for free now.
    According to him, the Componon-S and Rodenstock Eurygon are very close with slightly less light fall off in the Eurygon wide open.
    On a practical basis, the difference between the two probably is which one you like the looks of better.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Brian ,
    But I saw Rodenstock BW prints and they were excellent , great blacks and sharp whites. Rodenstock is the best bw enlarger lens I have ever seen.

For daylight and BW , Rodenstock is true winner.
    Umut
    I forgot to mention that I am only enlarging black and white. Speaking on Rodenstock lenses, the APO lenses worth the extra bucks? How do they compare to the N series?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I currently use APO Rodenstocks for all my B&W enlarging. However I can't say I see any difference in image quality vs the non-APO Nikkors I used before I got my new enlarger. Perhaps this is because I don't make very large prints, but in general I doubt there is much of a difference. The plus side with the APO vs the lenses I used before, is that if you need to open up a bit wider, the ones I have are essentially fully corrected one stop down from wide open, so if I needed to, I could use f4 on my 50mm and get full quality. I've never personally needed that, but it could be useful for some people.

On the subject of Rodenstock vs Schneider, don't waste your time. They're of equal quality and indistinguishable.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 12-10-2011 at 04:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I currently use APO Rodenstocks for all my B&W enlarging. However I can't say I see any difference in image quality vs the non-APO Nikkors I used before I got my new enlarger. Perhaps this is because I don't make very large prints, but in general I doubt there is much of a difference. The plus side with the APO vs the lenses I used before, is that if you need to open up a bit wider, the ones I have are essentially fully corrected one stop down from wide open, so if I needed to, I could use f4 on my 50mm and get full quality. I've never personally needed that, but it could be useful for some people.

On the subject of Rodenstock vs Schneider, don't waste your time. They're of equal quality and indistinguishable.
    +1 to all of the above- my experience is exactly the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have and use both brands, I don't notice any major differences besides the larger full open and close aperture lever. Both are very good. I am currently using the componon-s 80mm f4 for 6x6.

I do prefer my 50mm 2.8 rodagon to my 50mm 2.8 compnon-s though, for the lighted aperture ring mostly haha. They print the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too use both and haven't seen any difference in print quality. I'm now in a similar boat with trying to choose between a 150mm and 135mm - Rodenstock or Schneider? I think it will eventually come down to best bang for my buck - I'm happy to use either. . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over the last 35+ years I've used both Schneider and Rodenstock lenses for both camera & enlarger use. Neither company mas had a reputation for poor quality lenses in recent years and I'd be hard pushed to say one make was better than the other, they are at the same high level.

Nanette's right it's down to price and availabilty when you're actually making the final decision.

Ian

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin