Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,397   Online: 1179

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe this video about the work by John Chiara can give you some inspiration and the balls to try it out. At some point in the video, you can actually see him rolling the sewer tube with his feet:

Also posted in the APUG video section:

http://www.apug.org/forums/media.php?do=details&mid=40

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Awesome franken trays!
    Thanks, Robert. It took one weekend of work in the backyard and they don't leak at all!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry, I haven't been watching this thread. Yes, I've been doing fiber based prints for 30x40, only because I hadn't found resin coated paper that big. I would prefer resin coated; less washing and less curl when drying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice to see. I have my drum built for up to 32x48" after expansion which I have found to be around +2.48%. For now, I am working with my 3063 drum for 20x24, the biggest I can do with my current setup. I have a silly question though....I assume for consistency's sake, I have to do my test strips in a drum as well?

I have a smaller 2830 drum I could do tests in I suppose.

How are folks doing it, rough in the tray, final test strip in a small drum then final print? Also, do the times differ between tray and drum processing?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Images
    Good Morning, PKM-25,

I assume that you working with B & W. Drum processing is continuous agitation; tray processing is normally about the same thing. There shouldn't be much reason to do test prints/strips in a drum unless you're dealing with a serious space problem for the trays.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wouldn't recommend final wash of fb in drums for lots of reasons, not the least of which is that you won't get good flow over the back of the paper. I'm not sure why one would want to when the mural process is at it's simplest and most straightforward in troughs.

rc is easier, a lot cheaper and available over 30"....http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&A=details&Q=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    Good Morning, PKM-25,

I assume that you working with B & W. Drum processing is continuous agitation; tray processing is normally about the same thing. There shouldn't be much reason to do test prints/strips in a drum unless you're dealing with a serious space problem for the trays.

Konical
    Thanks, this is what I suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    I wouldn't recommend final wash of fb in drums for lots of reasons, not the least of which is that you won't get good flow over the back of the paper. I'm not sure why one would want to when the mural process is at it's simplest and most straightforward in troughs.

rc is easier, a lot cheaper and available over 30"....http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&A=details&Q=
    While I did use up a pack of 10 sheets of Ilford MG RC in 20x24 for getting my workflow dialed, I have no intention of selling people RC prints, only fiber. The big thing for me at least for the next 2-5 years is space, I am very limited on it and the drums make that end of the job a lot easier. And like I said above, I will be doing a max size of 20x24 until later this year at the earliest, so I have everything I need for that, including either trays I can put in the tub for washing or better yet, only put half the dividers in my 16x20 Eco-Wash and then carefully put the 20x24 fiber paper in favoring the short dimension, flipping them half way through the wash. I figure I can wash 4-5 prints like this at a time.

One day when I have the space, I will consider other methods, but for now, I have to mastermind what I have at my disposal.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]I use Iflord Cirbrachrome 16X20 and 20X24 drums. I have developed both RC and fiber. I enlarge and place the print in the drum, once light tight I take the drum outside to process on my patio. I live the desert Southwest when summer tap water is often over 90 degrees so I only print this large in the winter. The 16X20 fits on my Unicolor motor base, the 20X24 I roll on the patio floor. So far I have not had any issues with the constant agitation with Dektol as my standard developer. I add the developer then roll the drum for as long as needed, drain into a bucket, add stop bath, drain into a bucket, add standard fix, drain into a bucket,. I then rinse with a water baths, the print is still in the drum I change the water a couple of times. I then use Orbit Bath, drain into a bucket. I use all of the chemistery as one shot. At this point I am ready to pry off the top of the drum, next using a garden hose I very carefully use the water pressure to separate the print from the drum wall. Takes a little practice to figure out how much water pressure is required not to tear or crease the print. I then transfer to child’s play pool and use a couple of Kodak siphons for final wash. I dry outside on a 20X24 framed screen. I have not toned any of these print, I dont have a tray large enough. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The biggest I'm working at the moment is 30x40. I don't know if I want to build a bigger drum or not,
    just to please the bigger is better decor fad at the moment. But a drum system is easier to maintain
    than a roller-transport processor with all its finicky pumps and circuits. But per washing: my drums
    have shallow ribs which allow some water behind, so final rinsing is done in-drum. Then the print
    goes into a giant tray with automatic siphon etc for the final wash period. With RC prints, it can all
    be done in drum with repeat water cycles.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Thanks, this is what I suspected.

While I did use up a pack of 10 sheets of Ilford MG RC in 20x24 for getting my workflow dialed, I have no intention of selling people RC prints, only fiber. The big thing for me at least for the next 2-5 years is space, I am very limited on it and the drums make that end of the job a lot easier. And like I said above, I will be doing a max size of 20x24 until later this year at the earliest, so I have everything I need for that, including either trays I can put in the tub for washing or better yet, only put half the dividers in my 16x20 Eco-Wash and then carefully put the 20x24 fiber paper in favoring the short dimension, flipping them half way through the wash. I figure I can wash 4-5 prints like this at a time.

One day when I have the space, I will consider other methods, but for now, I have to mastermind what I have at my disposal.
    Hi, PKM-25,

I was not addressing your particular concerns but rather the op's. The only salient point I have to offer regarding the topic of large fb or rc prints is that making large prints in drums offers no advantages over scrolling in troughs. Quite the opposite - drums introduce needless variables and a host of new ways to crimp your print, fiber or rc. They will also take up more room.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin