Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,296   Online: 1070

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Didn't quite get that last remark. A drum will take up just a tiny amt of the space required by trays.
    That's the whole point. Plus way less volume in chemistry. And not necessarily difficult to load and
    unload at all. Whether or not they process as evenly as trays is a function of how well they are
    designed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Didn't quite get that last remark. A drum will take up just a tiny amt of the space required by trays.
    That's the whole point. Plus way less volume in chemistry. And not necessarily difficult to load and
    unload at all. Whether or not they process as evenly as trays is a function of how well they are
    designed.
    +1,

As far as I know, drums are the only way to soup prints in spaces other than a darkroom, that is my primary reason for using them, not only do they take up less space when doing large sizes, you can use a kitchen or other bright area to get the job done.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    +1,

As far as I know, drums are the only way to soup prints in spaces other than a darkroom, that is my primary reason for using them, not only do they take up less space when doing large sizes, you can use a kitchen or other bright area to get the job done.
    This is a good pt. I didn't realize you're having to process with the lights on. That's an unfortunate scenario. But as far as the amount of chemistry is concerned, I process in troughs with the minimum amount of chemistry for a one-shot process. For a 40x60 fb print that's less than a gallon of working dektol. I can work with one tray, but prefer two. My trays (54" X 10" X 4") take up a lot less room than a 40" x whatever size plastic drum.

More importantly, removing a wet fb mural from the inside of a cylinder that you're hoping it adhered to during processing cannot possibly be a fun time. Crimp city.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    I didn't realize you're having to process with the lights on. That's an unfortunate scenario.
    Only if I go above 16x20, I have a stacked tray system for prints smaller than 20x24. I think the Jobo 3063 tank is brilliant for what I need, hardly unfortunate. I am not into funky developing / toning beyond archival, it's all done in camera really.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Frotog - that's way more chemistry than you'd need one-shot in a drum. And a 40-inch circumference drum isn't forty inches in diameter! Don't worry - the math teacher didn't like me either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did some sketching for a possible 60x72" drum that could be used for RA-4 processing. Basically, here you have a combination of Beseler (central trough), Unicolor (chems at bottom) and wine barrel (drain placed low) designs applied to a drum which should be light and hand-holdable by a single person. Comments welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60x72drum_sketch.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	62954

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frotog - that's way more chemistry than you'd need one-shot in a drum. And a 40-inch circumference drum isn't forty inches in diameter! Don't worry - the math teacher didn't like me either.
    Would you like a slice of Pi with that?

And Rookie, I heart homegrown darkroom stuff...:-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not when you're using FB paper and dektol 1:3.
    I have five ss mural troughs. When not in use they nest together and fit in the six inch high space under the bottom shelf of my sink.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    When not in use my drum sits on its tail. Go figure the floor space it takes up. The biggest problem
    calculating chem volume is not the amt needed to do the job and keep the length of the drum
    continuously wet (only about a qt), but the efficiency of the drum in maintaining critical temperature
    inside. Dektol is a piece of cake. Color is more finicky. One needs enough volume to offset ambient
    air temp before drifting. This is a matter of both design and conditions. To make things equal, you'd
    need an efficient water jacket around the developer trough, or an attached thermoregulator with
    a circulating pump for the chemistry itself. I'm not implying that your trough system is not adequate
    to the task you've assigned it - but drums are way more versatile. But there is a point in size when
    fiber-based paper will collapse in them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Good for you Drew - nothing like a serious process to keep you busy!

In my posts I've been addressing the Op's interest in making large fb b/w prints.

For color I mostly inkjet and digital c these days. It's been over a year since I last made an analogue c print over 20x30". But when I do I find it most efficient and timely to rent space in a service bureau with a 50" rt. Talk about versatility!

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of your diy temp-regulated drum rig. Sounds nuts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin