Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,701   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lesser of two print washing evils

Simple question..

I found myself in the situation that I had to leave the darkroom before I had fully washed some prints. I could only make it back in about 12 hours.

Option A). Leave prints soaking in the washer (vertical slot washer)
    Option B). After a brief soak, pull prints and put them on the drying rack (yes, I'll clean those screens!) and then do a full wash about 12 hours later.

So which do you choose and why? Not sure I want to admit which I chose quite yet

Thanks!
    Chris
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I normally use option A but I wouldn't suggest that it is the best method.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 for the A option. I do it quite often as I usually finish my enlarging sessions very late in the night. Never had a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would have selected Option A also.

With Option B, I'd be concerned that a quick wash and dry would result in fixer being left behind, that couldn't be removed next round. I could of course be wrong, and I'm sure someone will jump in and let me know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by antmar View Post
    +1 for the A option. I do it quite often as I usually finish my enlarging sessions very late in the night. Never had a problem.
    I'm going to watch this thread! I am curious to hear what others thing as well, as it would be so nice to leave the prints and wash the next morning! Mind you, I'd be leaving them in trays

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the paper. If it's FB, then it doesn't hurt too awfully much to leave it in the wash for that long. RC paper is another story. A quick 4-5 minute wash is all that's necessary, any longer and you could delaminate the paper and ruin the print. Ipersonally am not too keen on leaving any prints in the wash for over an hour or so, it sucks when you ruin an entire evenings work by leaving prints in water for so long.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    It depends on the paper. If it's FB, then it doesn't hurt too awfully much to leave it in the wash for that long. RC paper is another story. A quick 4-5 minute wash is all that's necessary, any longer and you could delaminate the paper and ruin the print. Ipersonally am not too keen on leaving any prints in the wash for over an hour or so, it sucks when you ruin an entire evenings work by leaving prints in water for so long.
    Ah yes, very true! I would expect that an RC print might be in two pieces if you left it in water overnight! I hope the OP was talking fibre prints (I was)

Cheers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Some fiber papers have a time limit. Read the manufacturer's pdf. I believe there was a thread on a Kentmere graded fiber that had trouble after 2 hours. I am not sure on this. I use Kentmere Fine Print and I am not aware of a problem.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know the situation but when I have no time to wash a print when I'm in school I take it home and wash it at home for an half an hour. I put the wet print in a tray with a tiny bit of water to keep it wet. But I don't know if that is possible for you.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like the consensus is option A.. which figures because before I wrote the thread I went with option B In the back of my mind were tales of emulsion separating from the base, but I think those were tales of RC. I was printing on both Kentmere fineprint VC fiber and Foma 111 graded fiber.

I guess the good news is that I haven't seen anyone with a scary reason against drying and washing later, so if you have one please post! I wouldn't want a sub par print going out into the wild with my signature attached.

Chris
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin