Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,605   Online: 1088

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tri-X 320 newton ring solution

I like simple solutions to printing problems whenever possible. After lots of testing I'd like to offer this one to anybody who has ever had problems with newton rings when enlarging with glass carriers.

Simply fix and wash an unexposed, undeveloped sheet of Tri-X 320. Because it is designed for retouching, the base side is just rough enough to prevent newton rings when pressed against regular glass. Place the clear Tri-X on top of your negative and sandwich the ensemble in the glass carrier. I treat the Tri-X sheet with the same care as my negatives so dust and scratches are not problems. Light loss through the sheet of Tri-X is 1/2 stop.

I prefer this to the use of anti-newton ring glass which can be problematic particularly with condenser systems, or with uniform areas (such as grey skies), or when enlarging small negatives.

This works with all formats. I've been using it with sheet negatives and 35mm negatives with success. To size the Tri-X spacer for any format, simply cut the sheet down to size.

Tri-X also makes a good surface for selective masking. Light loss is less than with most frosted materials such as matt Dura-Lar, and is more uniform as well.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Thanks, I'll give it a go.
    I have 2 4x5 sheets developed and exposed just sitting there.
    Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom, make sure to use unexposed, undeveloped sheets. Otherwise base fog will cut more light.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Yes, they unexposed but developed. They are quite frosted. I will try with a sheet that is unexposed.
    Thanks,
    Tom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cool trick. I've always used a couple thin strips of photo paper (thicker than film) on either side of my neg. The paper acts like a shim to keep the glass from making a firm contact to the neg. I suppose my neg. is not absolutely flat but I've never noticed any adverse effect, even wide open.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Yes, they unexposed but developed. They are quite frosted. I will try with a sheet that is unexposed.
    Thanks,
    Tom.
    Good tip I was just going to say how I use electric tape on either side of my plain DIY glass carriers to keep it form squishing the negs causing the rings.

I'l have to try the clear neg trick. Thanks
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin