Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,533   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark, I'm glad that you made the paper(s) work. Have you used citric acid?

P.S. IME, exposing Vandyke when it's relatively "damp" (a la Ziatype. IMPORTANT: I put 2mils polyester between the negative and paper in order to protect the negative. It also helps in masking the inherent grain you may get with the non-mentionable workflow...), you get a much colder untoned image, and slightly greater dmax. (The latter for both the plain and toned image.)
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 01-06-2012 at 07:29 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fixed few typos...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Loris, your advice has helped me get off center. VD is certainly a simpler process to deal for me.....and citric acid was unnecessary for me. I'll try the damp version when I do my next round.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark, it's not damp in the literal sense; observe the paper after coating, and see how much time it takes the surface to become matte, then wait further by a factor of 1-2 (test!). In my conditions, it's usually 10 minutes after finishing coating.

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just for the records, one can mix a sodium citrate based kallitype developer buffered at pH levels 6 or 7.

See below:

• pH 6: 200g trisodium citrate dihydrate + 20g citric acid monohydrate
    • pH 7: 200g trisodium citrate dihydrate + 2.6g citric acid monohydrate

(Amounts for 1000ml developer...)

Worked it out using this site.

Regards,
    Loris.

I've used Masa and it works great. But I now mainly use fixed-out barya paper (Ilford FB seems to work best, but most any brand of fb paper can work too). Fixed-out Baryta paper works well for Van Dyke prints. In fact, I recommend starting with VDB solutions to learn the tricks of coating baryta paper before moving on to plat/palladium on the same paper. It is much, much cheaper and a bit easier to do and, to be honest, a well done VDB print on fixed out baryta looks almost exactly the same as a pt/pd print.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just picked up a few sheets of the Masa and it is very textured on one side and very slick and smooth on the other. Which side did you use?
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorj View Post
    I'd encourage you to take a look at Ruscombe Mill's "Herschel". It quickly became my favorite for kallitypes (primarily palladium-toned). http://www.ruscombepaper.com/
    Do you have an American dealer for this paper?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dennis, both sides work. I personally prefer the smooth side...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jim, I've only ordered it directly from Ruscombe. They shipped quicker than I expected; no worse than coming from the other side of North America.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris Medici View Post
    Mark, you may also try Masa paper; works great with every iron / iron-silver processes I know. (Even Argyrotype!) Beware: It's a thin paper (something around 90 g/sqm), therefore, if you print large (> 11x14") you will have to be careful when handling; may tear and/or crease easily. (Don't be intimidated; it's much stronger than it sounds...) And, as a last note: Try Vandyke w/o citric acid first, use it only if it doesn't work otherwise.

Regards,
    Loris.

Are you ordering your Masa paper in Europe Loris or the US? Would like to try a sample.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin