Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,088   Online: 1133

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Warm Lith Prints

Hey y'all,
    I've been bugging Guillaume in PMs and starting to feel guilty about it....
    So I thought I'd throw out a request.
    I've done three sessions with lith and I'm hooked. I'm out of paper.....
    During this time I've begun to learn some of the behavior.
    That of course has given me a better idea of what i'm after and how I want it to look.
    The main thing I'd like to tackle first is the tone.
    Although some of these crazy lith colors are pretty damn cool, I'd like to find the tone I'm after.
    Here's where I need some help.
    I'm using easylith and foma 131.
    I got pretty close to the tone with heavy dilution and short exposure.
    The tone I'm after is a golden brown sort of ochre hue. It's basically the tone I get in wet plate.
    In the world of RGB its in the area of R 124 G 103 B 68
    If you reduce the blue down into the 40s then you can get an idea of the range I'm talking about.
    What I'm NOT after are oranges, reds, pinks, purples or blues.
    Yellowish browns start to get there....
    I definitely don't like cool or neutral. So far selenium has been way too cool or purpley. If I've used it it was just for a few seconds.
    On unblinkingeye Tim Rudman had a list of papers but that was in 2004.....
    I need to place an order for more paper so I thought I'd ask first.
    Perhaps SE5 will give me a little more flexibility than the easylith?
    In the gallery I like the tone Marianne has in her prints so maybe she could chime in
    I have no problem with experimenting but i'd like to get a ballpark combination of dev,paper, and/or toner to get me there.
    I really appreciate any thoughts or advice you might have.
    Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Foma 131 or 132 is what you want, some people like Emaks as well. Don't forget your old brown addition to the Lith bath. Try more dilution and longer exposure. I find my best results are near the end of the print session when the developer is going a bit south. The prints are in the developer longer and have more of the color I'm looking for. Good luck.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    You know the lith books of Tim Rudman?
    And maybe you want to ask the creator of Easylith and SE5 or look into his sample gallery: http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...ie/easylith/14
    He has also a more complex chemistry kit for lith prints which allows quite a bit of tuning: http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/shop/lith
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmm, let's see, who is this I see on youtube....

Sorry Richard I had to
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Awesome video.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of that sample gallery, this tone is most appealing to me:
    http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...ie/easylith/11

Does less B lend itself to that tone?
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    Awesome video.
    Thank you. In all fairness to Richard, I showed up at his house, unannounced, caffeinated, and with a new digicam and manual focus lens. And I forced him to make a video on the spot, with no script. Richard was ad libbing and I think he did a fantastic job, under the circumstances. You don't see the cats complaining at his feet nor the geese complaining in the background. Plus it was my very first video, ever, and I had no clue what I was doing.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Scott, that example above is from an Adox paper, so maybe you should try that. There are other toners than selenium, like gold or copper or combinations that might give you the tones you are after. You have to experiment more, maybe as I said before, with longer snatch times to cool down the colours a bit.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tone I'm after is a golden brown sort of ochre hue. It's basically the tone I get in wet plate.
    Of that sample gallery, this tone is most appealing to me: http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/co...ie/easylith/11
    These two statements are a bit contradictory -- the example you showed is not a golden brown ochre hue at all -- it's very cool, and I think very difficult to achieve with any Fomatone papers. Fomabrom, (and Emaks, Adox, and Slavich) on the other hand, produces nice tones like these, as Marianne produces, but I don't know how she does it. I tried and could not get anything useful at all out of Fomabrom. That begin said, I haven't worked with it much.

I've used both the Easylith and SE5 with different combinations, but there was very little difference between the two, other than a more neutral colour, longer, with SE5 than with Easylith. Most of the images in my gallery are of a Foma 131 or 132 with Moersch variety and I think fall to the warm salmony colours Foma is known for. A few are more neutral, and those were probably the first prints pulled out of the printing session. Anyway, I went to Tim Rudman's workshop last September and he seemed to indicate that the best way to tame the colour with Fomatone was to tone it, but you would need to experiment with gold, selenium (or combination of) and/or sepia. One of the workshop participants got some nice sandy colours after a bleach/sepia dip.
    Last edited by mooseontheloose; 01-08-2012 at 07:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comments. I would love to experiment with all sorts of papers, developers and toners if they were on my shelf. However, I really need to get in the general area for money reasons. I hate trying to use examples on the internet because the darn screens....
    I was reading about moersch mt3 toner. It has variations out to dark brown. I'm wondering how that would work out. Has anyone used it? It sounds like the amount of bleaching can also give flexibility.
    http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/galerie/mt3
    #8 is pretty cool http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/galerie/mt3/8
    Thanks
    Scott

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin