Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,064   Online: 824
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,231
    Images
    9

    Sizing final substrate for carbon printing?

    Yes I could use fixed out photo paper but I don't have any. What I have is water color paper and gelatin. Is this advisable or is it an issue waiting to happen?

    I am gathering everything I need to jump in and the paper is holding me back.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

    So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

  2. #2
    Hexavalent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    533
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mark,

    WC paper and gelatin can work. You will require some kind of hardener (chrome alum, formalin, glyoxal, glut etc.,).

    Depending upon the weight and surface of WC paper, you may have to soak it in gelatin, or just brush on one coat.

    In a pinch, cardstock brushed with dilute "white glue" and allowed to dry will work - it won't be archival though.

    Hope this helps.
    - Ian

  3. #3
    Andrew O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Posts
    602
    Or you could use matte acrylic polymer such as Golden GAC 100 and a hot dog paint roller.

  4. #4
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,623
    Images
    14
    Andrew- I have made carbons on fixed out silver paper, I am a novice at this but what would you suggest as a support for carbon printing that would give me the same kind of result as fixed out silver??
    The price of silver paper is getting up there , not to mention the work to get it prepped for carbon transfer.

    I am contemplating mounting Yuppo onto metal and using this as the base , anyone try this yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Or you could use matte acrylic polymer such as Golden GAC 100 and a hot dog paint roller.

  5. #5
    DarkroomDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Enumclaw, WA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    239
    Images
    22
    Bob,
    I have used Yuppo both as s support when making carbon tissue and as a final support. It works fine for both purposes without the need for sizing. It is dimensionally stable at the sizes I used (YMMV). If stability is the reason you are thinking of mounting it onto metal, you may want to try it without just to see if it works for you. You may be able to eliminate a step.

    I really like Yuppo for tissue support but not so much as a final support. I don't care for the plastic look and feel of the finished print.

    Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

  6. #6
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,623
    Images
    14
    Thank you for your response.

    I like the glossy look of carbon on silver fixed paper, do you think Yuppo gives the same kind of look?

    I am using metal for registration work, and you are right with Yuppo I may not need , as I believe it does not shrink as paper does,

    have you ever printed Pt PD on Yuppo??


    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomDan View Post
    Bob,
    I have used Yuppo both as s support when making carbon tissue and as a final support. It works fine for both purposes without the need for sizing. It is dimensionally stable at the sizes I used (YMMV). If stability is the reason you are thinking of mounting it onto metal, you may want to try it without just to see if it works for you. You may be able to eliminate a step.

    I really like Yuppo for tissue support but not so much as a final support. I don't care for the plastic look and feel of the finished print.

    Dan

  7. #7
    Andrew O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Posts
    602
    I would be very careful transfering onto Yupo. According to Sandy King, the image may "snap" off of it, if you live in a very dry region.

    Bob, I'm really liking acrylic polymer sized art papers. After coating with the hotdog roller, I zap it in the drymount press for 2 minutes to "melt" the coating to give it a smooth surface with a very slight sheen. One thing that I want to try is making my own baryta coated paper. I need a business license to get my hands on barium sulfate, though. Denise Ross has an article at the Lightfarm: http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Pape...atingPart4.htm

    There is also an article from 1914 Posted by Richard Sullivan over at B&S carbon forum.
    Last edited by Andrew O'Neill; 01-18-2012 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #8
    Hexavalent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    533
    Blog Entries
    3
    Here in Ottawa we go from frozen winters to sweltering summers - I've had prints literally fall off Yupo with a change of season.
    - Ian

  9. #9
    DarkroomDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Enumclaw, WA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    239
    Images
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Thank you for your response.

    I like the glossy look of carbon on silver fixed paper, do you think Yuppo gives the same kind of look?

    I am using metal for registration work, and you are right with Yuppo I may not need , as I believe it does not shrink as paper does,

    have you ever printed Pt PD on Yuppo??
    Bob,

    Yuppo comes in more that one surface. The variety I have is like vellum and the prints I made on it are not the same as those I did on fixed out silver papers. They are also different than those on sized art papers.

    Because I did not like the plastic look and feel I was getting, I did not transfer many prints to Yuppo. I haven't enough experience with it to class myself as an authority.

    As to prints popping off, I hadn't heard of that before but I live in an area where the humidity is generally moderate all year round.

    Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, WA USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    One thing that I want to try is making my own baryta coated paper. I need a business license to get my hands on barium sulfate, though. Denise Ross has an article at the Lightfarm: http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Pape...atingPart4.htm

    There is also an article from 1914 Posted by Richard Sullivan over at B&S carbon forum.
    http://bostick-sullivan.invisionzone...ta-paper-1914/

    For those who aren't members or haven't seen it.

    If you use this method, you should be able to get the barium chloride and ammonium sulfate with less trouble. This is the method I plan on trying. I should note, though, that a local chemical supplier to me (Portland, OR) doesn't appear to have any restrictions on the purchase of barium sulfate listed in their catalog.

    I suppose there might be restrictions on buying pharmaceutical-grade barium sulfate, though.

    --Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin