Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,992   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Old potassium dichromate

I found 100g of Potassium Dichromate at the bottom of a box at the bottom of a pallet I bought at a school auction this morning. I would say it from the late 80s or early nineties.

Would it still be good?

There was also a lot of glass plates for holograms that said open under safe lights that were wide open. Those are shot. Anyone want some little glass plates?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    If it's still bright orange crystals, it's likely good. I had a jar on the shelf for 20+ years that was perfectly okay.
    - Ian

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

If it is still sealed

If it is still sealed and as it was kept in the dark I can see no great chance that it will not be good - However, there is only one real test . . .

Images
    It is pink in color. Does that mean it is bad?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Potassium dichromate is a nasty chemical (handle with care and read the health and safety instructions).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    (
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    It is pink in color. Does that mean it is bad?
    Most references describe pot dichromate as being a bright orange-red color, which is how I would describe the product which I've used in the past.

You really need a fresh sample to compare, as we all have different ideas of describing colors. But I wouldn't expect a "good" sample to be a "baby-pink" or similar shade of color?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_dichromate
    The colour shown on Wikipedia is fairly close to 'reality' (at least with my monitor).
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Please don't go adding sulphuric acid to things unless you are 110% certain of what you're dealing with.
    - Ian

Images
    I will look at it again tomorrow. It was in a milk white bottle.

I ain't mixing a thing with sulfuric acid unless I am dead sure what it is. I've seen a guy after a chemical mishap.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a small brown bottle of it that would be close to 50 years old and the crystals are still orange. OzJohn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin