Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,410   Online: 1153

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Curious about ziatypes

Has any APUGer did ziatype printing before? I was inspired by Kerik Kouklis's prints I saw in Yosemite last December. I don't know if they were ziatypes, but I'm hoping I could make some prints that have the same look. I don't think I can achieve the level of craftsmanship as Mr. Kouklis, but are ziatypes easy to do? I've made cyanotypes before. I don't want to use a brush with ziatypes like I do with cyanotypes because the emulsion is so expensive and don't want to waste any of the Ziatype emulsion. I plan to make a puddle pusher from the instructions published on The Light Farm. Is that the way to go? I want to start by getting a kit from Bostick and Sullivan so I don't have to do any mixing and go broke buying the palladium chloride. Any input is valued. I got bitten by the palladium print bug.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried looking the process up, I've been interrested in doing some. I found some info here: http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/ or http://www.alternativephotography.co...iatype-process
    I wouldn't mind seeing it done in person, maybe someone can do an on line seminar.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    POP Pd printing (Ware-Malde or Ziatype) processes are easy. If you can do *good* cyanotypes, then you're good to go for pt/pd. (In fact, it's harder to make a *good* cyanotype!) BTW, you can use Richeson or DaVinci (5080 series) brushes w/o wasting extra sensitizer. (With my DaVinci, I use the same amnt. of coating solution as I need with a glass coating rod.) Edit: Just wet the brush with distilled water and squeeze the excess right before coating, it won't soak up and waste the sensitizer...
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 01-24-2012 at 05:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added a remark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just order by the phone and have Dana or one of the other B+S folks to explain things clearly and help you out. They will take time to make sure you are doing it right.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ditto what everyone else has been saying about Ziatypes. They're easy-peasy. And I'll put in yet another vote for the Richeson 9010 "magic brush". Just soak it in distilled water between coatings, and squeeze off excess water just prior to coating. Minimal difference in coating volume required vs. rod coating, and you have far more control over emulsion distribution. Especially if your coating surface is not dead flat and level (but you should coat on top of a sheet of glass or plexi anyway, to smooth things out). Another thing to think about is - QUIT WORRYING ABOUT WASTE. Until your coating technique is flawless, you'll want to have enough excess coating to gauge the exposure by examining your borders. If you pour so little emulsion that you only have enough to cover the negative's surface area, you'll not have enough to judge exposure by, and run the risk of not having enough to actually evenly coat the entire image area. A little waste at the edges is far cheaper than throwing out a print because the exposure was uneven due to thin coating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's what I like about APUGers, they're always are encourage and very helpful. I will look for the Richeson 9010 "magic brush" and put my order in at Bostick and Sullivan. I'm also gonna build my own 20" x20" UV light source. OK TheFlyingCamera, I'll stop worrying about waste even though I'm cheap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i've been doing ziatypes for the last 10 years.. a great process, and a pretty easy one. Humidity is the big factor with it. my coating room is small, so it's easier to keep the humidity at a constant during coating (about 70% for my work). As far as brushes go.. even better than the Richeson are the brushes made by Tsuyoshi (Project Basho). He takes the Richeson bristles and puts them in a traditional wood Japanese handle. One of the only problems with the Richeson is the eventual corrosion of the metal ferrule. Tsuyoshi's modification gets rid of this. If you're ever in the Santa Cruz, Ca area. please let me know. .i'd be happy to give a demo

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcollum View Post
    He takes the Richeson bristles and puts them in a traditional wood Japanese handle. One of the only problems with the Richeson is the eventual corrosion of the metal ferrule.
    It's very easy to improve Richeson brush to avoid corrosion.
    Here you can see how to modify in diffrent ways:
    http://payral.pagesperso-orange.fr/Richeson/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the tip. I looked at those brushes and a 4" brush is over $100 US! I will as Americans say "bite the bullet' and buy one.

Thanks,
    Don

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe Kerik will chime in but FWIW the prints you saw at Yosemite were gum bichromate over palladium and straight DOP palladium, not Ziatype. Also Kerik teaches a printing workshop at the Ansel Adams gallery.
    Last edited by deisenlord; 01-24-2012 at 11:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin