Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,545   Online: 1067

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

freezing coated cyanotypes

As is often the case, my goals for producing prints often exceed the time available. I have on several occasions prepared more sheets of paper with cyanotype chemicals and had them go to waste unprinted. When not used, they seem to go from yellow to green overnight and don't produce consistent results when that happens.

Last night, I coated 2 8x10's and 2 4x5 papers and didn't get a chance to use the 4x5's. So I put them in a black plastic bag in the freezer overnight (with the film I hoard). I took them out of the freezer this evening, gave them a few minutes to warm up to room temp, and put them to use in the contact printing frame. They looked bright yellow just like when they went in to the freezer. They printed just fine and are in the wash now. Nice and dark and consistent like I'd expect out of a freshly coated cyanotype.

I have no idea how long it would be good in the freezer before it deteriorates. Even in a worse case of a day or two, it would still save lots of time and let me use shorter blocks of time over the coarse of a weekend to produce some nice prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good idea, I'll have to try that!

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have done it with coated platinum/palladium paper -- another iron process and it worked fine.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Vaughn:

How long does the Pt/Pd paper keep frozen?

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used them two weeks later. That was the longest -- I do not see any reason that many months would be a problem.

They had been coated, air-dried for two hours, put in a box for about 8 hours, then froze.

If one wanted to coat a bunch for later use they could be frozen right after the initial drying -- instead of what happens if one runs out of time at the end of a printing session and risks some dark reactions to take place.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle photo sells precoated. Cyanotype paper. I don't think it's frozen.
    http://freestylephoto.biz/6633-Blue-...ack?cat_id=104

I precoated some and it lasts least a few weeks in a cool, dark, dry place.

I've frozen pre-coated salted paper and VanDyke brown, but only for a few days. No problems using either of them, they seemed fine.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin