Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,534   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

carbon and smooth tones

Everything I have read says to NOT try to use negs with large expenses of smooth tones like skies or or skin tones when you start.

There really is no explanation that I have found to explain what the pit falls are. Can someone enlighten me as to what the pit falls are or the possible issues that might arise? I have a still life project in mind.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think I have said it once or twice -- but merely to warn folks not to get too discouraged when trying the process for the first time. Actually the opposite is true -- large areas of smooth tonality will quickly point out any sloppiness in one's process.

Possible pitfalls:

Incomplete or uneven mixing of the pigment in the glop
    Excessive graininess caused by poor pigment choice (particles of carbon too big)
    Beard hairs, dust, etc in the glop
    Uneven sensitizing
    Defects on the neg

That is what I can think of right now.

vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Images
    That is not bad.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    It's the lightest smooth tones that usually cause trouble, as they are the thinnest and most fragile portion of gelatin.
    "Technique" is everything
    - Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a 5x7 carbon print of a woman (nude) standing by a redwood. Beautiful print -- but there is a beard hair in the gelatin right in the middle of her left cheek of her bum.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have a 5x7 carbon print of a woman (nude) standing by a redwood. Beautiful print -- but there is a beard hair in the gelatin right in the middle of her left cheek of her bum.
    Was it in the negative too?
    - Ian

Images
    Way to many bad things I want to say about that post vaughn.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I said in the gelatin, boys...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I said in the gelatin, boys...
    At least you didn't say in the 'glop'
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OMG!!!! I just snorted my coffee!

But really guys!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin