Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,249   Online: 1085

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Dan.

I was worried about getting an even coating with a roller. I'm not a fan. But a brush has worked quite well for me.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    After reading the pdf, it seems people are really over complicating it.

I found that I needed no more exposure and no more emulsion than normal.

It did take me a couple prints to get the emulsion smooth with my magic brush.

I used an expensive foam brush for the FS. Easy peasy.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Robert-- Thanks for posting. Would you mind saying what kind of paper you're using and also provide the link for the type of fumed silica you bought at Amazon? Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can't wait to try this myself with some kallitypes - I had some fumed silica delivered, but alas the supplier confused hydrophilic with hydrophobic (and shipped sans labels). It was great fun watching all that liquid silver roll right off the paper...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    LOL! I must have bought from the same supplier. I used the stuff for the first time in a demo to Large Format/Alt process group and we watched the coating go rolling off the paper. Did you buy on eBay and was it the worst packing job you've ever seen?

Quote Originally Posted by jorj View Post
    Can't wait to try this myself with some kallitypes - I had some fumed silica delivered, but alas the supplier confused hydrophilic with hydrophobic (and shipped sans labels). It was great fun watching all that liquid silver roll right off the paper...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Amazon...

Fumed Silica...

http://goo.gl/8DnVO

I was using arches platine, my mainstay for, well, for a long long time.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ok, that was a pain in the a$$, but there is now a semi-reproduction of what I had posted on Facebook. Not my best work but then it was a not intended to be anything but a short introduction. I hope it helps.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Robert,

Did you compare by doing a minimal exposure test? It seems from our experience that it needs to be brought back ever so slightly in exposure.

Also, I really think that dry application is easier. With a roller and an open space to spill onto, you could coat many sheets very quickly and evenly.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I can see where pulling back maybe a third of a stop would be advantageous, but I am quite happy with, at least for most exposures, just exposing the same amount. I really didn't lose much in the shadows at all.

Different darkroom, different humidity? Who knows. I don't want to over think it. I look at this as a lovely gift and my biggest concern is I want to avoid thinking I might have to go reprint 20+ years of pt prints

I really like what I have found with the brush. It's minimal, fast, non-messy. I think the wet might be more problematic. On the Platine, I can see easily if I have a smooth coat and good coverage.

What papers have you been using?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A great tutorial! -> http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...atinotype.html

Thanks Robert

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin