Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,874   Online: 983

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Barry, I bought from Amazon, but it was a pretty unbelievable packing job.

They refunded my money, let me keep the rather large box of product. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it now. Maybe it's time to take up fly fishing...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    We did the initial testing on Stonehenge--solid results--as well as Platine--not as solid...but not sure exactly why. Last Saturday we did a full run on Lana Aqua. and it responded quite well although I won't see the results until later this week.

Interesting method for rolling it on. At this point, we've been using foam rollers and it spreads quite easily. I see no advantage to wet application for my purposes yet, but different strokes for different folks. Dick was very happy it worked out for you so well, it's good affirmation of what we've been seeing.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I ordered directly from Robert's link, so hopefully I'll get the right stuff. I've got a lot of different papers I can try, so I'll run a series of tests. I'm very interested in seeing if any of the silver-based processes like VDB or salt printing can approach the quality of Pt/Pd with the silica/alumina pre-treatment and "fools gold" selenium toning.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Wow, didn't realize there were so many different kinds. I might have been lucky.

Just as a note, my paper is platine, I've never had anything but good luck. (touch wood)

Aluminum on the way to try this weekend.

Thanks to Kyle, Dana and Richard.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    We look forward to seeing your results, Robert.

As for Fool's Gold--the developer is pretty straight forward and acts just like Gold, hence the name. With Kallitypes, Athenatypes and the like, you should get pleasing results and a quarter the cost. Good luck.

Edit: also, Bostick and Sullivan have fumed silica on hand at a great price as well, plus they can help you out on the phone with any questions. Feel free to call them up for supplies. Not trying to be a promoter, but I know the stuff there is pure, and the Amazon stuff makes me nervous when applying my time and serious $$$ to prints.

Edit edit: Barry, please post your results with the VanDyke. We have discussed it briefly (I'm a believer in VD but others aren't so enthusiastic) and haven't had to time to test. I would love to know how it goes.
    Last edited by Klainmeister; 02-22-2012 at 10:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this the same use of silica? I like Wolfgang Moersch's photos on Flicker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfgan...1/in/contacts/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes, Herr Moersch posted that this morning on facebook. It is fumed silica.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kyle--I'll be happy to post my VDB results. I recently placed a large order with B&S and was going to get the silica, but I got confused by the online catalog listing (dry, aqeous?) and forgot about it. I have the order from Robert's Amazon source on the way and am looking forward to testing. I think VDB looks amazing when the density is good and can't wait to see how the FGS toner works.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I will be trying the toner on my pop this weekend. Probably the FS as well.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin