Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,657   Online: 843

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haven't actually printed on it (will be back to printing not before next week...) but out of curiosity, I coated a paper with hydrophilic fumed silica (brand name: Aerosil 200) using an ordinary foam brush. The coating procedure was simple and effective (thanks for the visuals - helped a lot!), my only complaint would be about airborne particles - I didn't like that... The coating changes the feel of the paper considerably, but I liked it as it was. I later brushed water on it and haven't noticed any unusual brush drag / uneven absorption or something. Will try with real sensitizer soon...

Thanks,
    Loris.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks for sharing that Loris, I think you will find the results dramatic. I was also concerned about airborne particles but I think you can make the "liquid" version by making a 4% solution with FS and distilled water. (Distilled just to eliminate other possible variables)

I didn't notice brush drag either and I have not yet tried the coating rods, but did find on the first couple that I had to be more careful of my brushing for evenness.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The powder form can definitely be irritating and we recommend the use of a simple mask during application times (as well as a large surface area to spill onto). The good news is that this stuff is used in toothpaste, milkshakes, etc as a thickening agent and hasn't been shown to be harmful.

Barry: super excited! I love well done Vandykes as well so this is exciting for me. I'll also try to post new development as they are discovered. Dick was very pleased to see the use of fumed silica outside our lab. Good work everyone!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've looked it up on the internet and it's used a thickening agent and anti-caking in food? Other than it's an inhalation hazard, I assume it's not toxic?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's not toxic, but it's unquestionably a respiratory irritant. I wear a respirator when using it and highly recommend the same for anyone else.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Throw on a bandana or a respirator and you should be fine. We have been using it with and without and I personally haven't experienced any irritation, but it was a big open space with calm air.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I received my new fumed silica today and tried a few quick and dirty VDBs. I treated sheets of Revere Platinum and Fabriano Artistico with the silica and double-coated with VDB. I also tried the Fools Gold toner. I found I only needed to expose my neg for half as long as usual, but the results were a bit muddy--not sure I gained any dmax from the silica. It may have been the neg I chose--probably too flat, but I grabbed what was handy. The Fools Gold toner cooled off the prints fairly quickly (~5 minutes to medium brown), but also seemed to bleach them. I should get some density back in dry down, but it's all too preliminary to say much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Is this the same use of silica? I like Wolfgang Moersch's photos on Flicker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfgan...1/in/contacts/
    If the colors can be believed, the silica really seems to cool down the image tone a lot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've bought some fumed silica from B&S and will try it shortly.
    I thought I bought the powdered variety but it arrived as a liquid.

I've read Richard Sullivan's PDF and several threads but have not read a description of using the liquid form of fumed silica.
    Should it be used neat?
    How much should I use? (I'm printing 5x7 Pt/Pd on Arches Platine)
    I assume I have to dry it before sensitising.

Any thoughts/experiences on the liquid stuff?

Jon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you're doing wet, simply add just enough (kinda like adding your sensitizer to the paper) and roll it evenly passed the edges. I don't recommend brushes due to streaking. Go ahead and use a hair dryer or something similar to dry it out quickly and go ahead and add your sensitizer and expose as you normally would.

That should work.
    K.S. Klain

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin