Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,655   Online: 1214

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Platinum printing and the use of fumed silica

I read on Dick Sullivan's blog the other day about the use of Fumed Silica and gave it a try. I have posted a short essay on Facebook about this easy process.

I thought the results were worth sharing. I made the portfolio public so I think we can all see it even if we're not friended.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2723189&type=1

Feel free to comment.

Apologies to those who can't see the essay, here is a comparison of the difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(7).jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	493.8 KB 
ID:	46626

Image on the left, normal development process, image on the right, the use of fumed silica applied to paper before coating with metals.
    Last edited by Robert Hall; 02-20-2012 at 10:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added image
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Alas not available
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have edited the original in order to add an image.

Cheers
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks very nice! Do you really have a tanning bed for contact printing?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Heh. No. It's a long running joke. Once I had a show to finish and my light source died, so I took my prints down to the tanning salon to finish them up. The girl at the counter just couldn't put the concept together. I paid for an hour and sat in the waiting room.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, we've been playing with Fumed silica with other processes as well. It looks promising for many alt processes, including cyanotypes, kallitypes, albumen, etc. We're now just experimenting with another fumed coating (not sure if I am of privileged to discuss it here) that looks to have the same benefits of fumed silica with PT/PD printing, except with a slightly cooler tone rather than warmer which appears to occur with the silica.

It's all very exciting stuff! Thanks for experimenting!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The difference looks quite impressive!

If I may say... posting your essay on APUG rather than Facebook might be a wiser investment in the "analog" future. On facebook it's, for all intents and purpsoses, private, whereas APUG is viewable by anyone and search engines will find it.

Then again, maybe you'd prefer it that way. But I for one encourage you to consider posting the essay here, or maybe even in the articles section. It certainly seems like an important contribution to the art..

cheers, C.h.

Shooter
    35mm
    All I get is a "Content Not Aavailable" error message. But I don't, and don't plan to, have a FB account.

--Greg

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Time constraints, Greg.

I will do that, for sure. (I was just sitting on the couch last night and FB was up.

R
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dick Sullivan who has been experimenting with and promoting the use of fumed silica has a pdf available here at his Bostick & Sullivan site (not the store site). It looks interesting. I haven't tried it but a friend of mine is using it. He says he prefers using it in solution rather than dry; says he finds it easier to get an even coating.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin