Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,965   Online: 1199

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Stamp Engraving and Hybrid Process Problems

I am collecting Nordic Postal Stamp Engravings and I want to start my first engraving with most simple way.
    Way is scanning the original , than printing a copy with laser printer on to a adhesived clear film , than transfer this film on to steel plate and than follow the traces with engraving stylus , burin.

But I am not understanding digital part. When I scan , I receive a very large image and file and there is no way at the scanning to scan low res with details.

But how will I be able to decrease the image size without losing any line ?

And who can print such high detailed micro sized file on to clear adhesive ?

I think there is big problem at digital technology.

I have a point shoot camera , no bw film , no developer , no macro lenses etc.

I think it is off topic but DPUG is so weak and I dont want to subscribe mess to other forums. This family knows the best.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Scan to 8 bit b&w, 300 dpi should be fine. Heck you really don't even need 8 bit.

For really high res output you can have an LVT made, but probably a decent inkjet can handle the resolution you need.

And this thread is probably going to be closed ask over at dpug.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Keith , Thank you. With big probability Susan is sleeping now

I dont have a scanner and printer also , Internet cafe have but its 7 AM now.

Is there a way to print with inkjet or laser , continious tone , no screening ?
    We were printing text without half toning with Crossfield , 18 years ago.

I need to print on special transfer paper to transfer original engraving to steel.

Are you sure 300 dpi sees all minute details without losing them ?

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PUL.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	46665

This is a 600 dpi scan and lots of details are lost.
    But epson inkjet printing on transfer film is the most widely known method at engraving community.
    I think I can add details with the help of loupe but after using scanner at full resolution.
    This is the engraving I want to do.

Umut

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Best to do a search online - hybrid is not for APUG! Will try and give a few pointers before thread is closed however.

Agree with Keith - "Scan to 8 bit b&w, 300 dpi should be fine. Heck you really don't even need 8 bit"

For comparison, for enlarged positives for polymer photogravure prints I scan my original 6x7 film at 16 bit, fiddle with the curves to compensate for the darkening of the photogravure printing process, then save scan as an 8bit file. Approx 300dpi gives scans which print on the plate through the press at A4 size with tons of detail. So I'm sure that resolution will be enough for what you need.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm awake now, and yep... ask over at DPUG. Thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin