Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,522   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Yes, Christopher James is the man. He has just started an MFA program in alternative processes. He is a wonderful instructer. I know a good number of his students and if you have an interest in alt processes, you would do well to be associated with this fine group of artists.
    Yes. I am anxious to begin my journey of alt. processes. I'm in the process of building my own 4x5 pinhole so I can start learning the kallitype and vandyke processes. I also plan on teaching myself gum process. I will deffinately be looking into AIB
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Horseman L45 || Rolleicord VB || Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a BFA student at Alfred University in Western NY, and we have a very ,very good Alternative Process setup here. We do everything from Pt/Pd, Cyanotype, Van Dyke, Gum Bichromate, Liquid Light, Citrus Transfers, the whole gamut, as long as you're willing to learn it. My teacher is Brian Arnold, who specializes in Pt/Pd and Gum Bichromate, as well as traditional B/W printing. You should send him an email at arnold@alfred.edu

PS: Alfred U is an extraordinarily highly regarded art school if you aren't familiar with it, we have the best ceramics and glass programs on the east coast, if not in the entire country, and a kickass grad program. That said people always look at me funny when I say I go to Alfred and then reveal to them that I am strictly a photographer...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    I am a BFA student at Alfred University in Western NY, and we have a very ,very good Alternative Process setup here. We do everything from Pt/Pd, Cyanotype, Van Dyke, Gum Bichromate, Liquid Light, Citrus Transfers, the whole gamut, as long as you're willing to learn it. My teacher is Brian Arnold, who specializes in Pt/Pd and Gum Bichromate, as well as traditional B/W printing. You should send him an email at arnold@alfred.edu

PS: Alfred U is an extraordinarily highly regarded art school if you aren't familiar with it, we have the best ceramics and glass programs on the east coast, if not in the entire country, and a kickass grad program. That said people always look at me funny when I say I go to Alfred and then reveal to them that I am strictly a photographer...

Chris,

Thanks for the information. I'm aware of Alfred as I looked into it initially for ceramics. I did not know that Alfred had an Alternative Process setup. I will contact your professor. Thank you very much.

--Matthew
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew001 View Post
    Chris,

Thanks for the information. I'm aware of Alfred as I looked into it initially for ceramics. I did not know that Alfred had an Alternative Process setup. I will contact your professor. Thank you very much.

--Matthew
    Chris,

I just checked out the Alfred website -- they do not offer a photography grad program.

--Matthew
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They may disguise it under the EIA banner (Electronic Integrated Arts). It would still be worth sending Brian an email, he's a fantastic professor, and he'll be able to tell you if an alternative process based MFA would be possible. Alfred is known for its ability to warp a curriculum to suit a student's needs, so don't throw in the towel just yet. I know we've had photographers as grad students in the past...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    They may disguise it under the EIA banner (Electronic Integrated Arts). It would still be worth sending Brian an email, he's a fantastic professor, and he'll be able to tell you if an alternative process based MFA would be possible. Alfred is known for its ability to warp a curriculum to suit a student's needs, so don't throw in the towel just yet. I know we've had photographers as grad students in the past...
    Thanks. I sent your professor an email.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact Mark Osterman at George Eastman House. He will have some information on this and is quite willing to help those interested in this sort of thing.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On a more generic note, I say good for you and your passion and do it now while you can, before you have too many other responsibilities for it to be feasible. I worked on a Computer Science major briefly as an undergrad, because I had always like playing with computers. Hated it. It was the absolute pits, the way things were taught, the way the material was approached, the attitude of the faculty and instructors. So I went back to English. Studied modernist American poetry, theology and cultural geography. Did a thesis on Wallace Stevens and the Sermon on the Mount (as an atheist interested in notions of reality, not as a believer). All the while worked night shift in the University's computer labs overseeing rickety printers, old Power Macs, and Dells running Windows 3.1, and spent time doing pro-bono website work for music and lit-related orgs.

Leveraged recommendations from my bosses at the night job into a full-time position on the helpline with academic computing services at the same university after I graduated. Did some web work for them but also started getting hands-on experience with more serious programming for back office automation. Ten years later, I'm still programming and have an MS in Software Engineering... and after the kids are old enough to afford me some time, will probably go do a lit or arts PhD.

That's all a long way of saying, do what you can when you can, seize the opportunities you get and create them when you can, and don't be too worried about anyone who says "you'll end up flipping burgers". That's only true if you don't bother to cultivate a well-rounded base of experience. Or if you're single-minded and want to work as much as possible on your art and not have a day job... but in that case, you probably wouldn't mind, eh? By definition.
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin