Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,401   Online: 1072

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Had a chance to use the new Ilford Direct Positive

This past weekend I ran one of my Large Format 101 workshops at the studio in Burlington.
    The four photographers taking part had a chance to shoot with the new Ilford Harman Direct Positive fibrebase paper. We had some in the 4x5 size.
    This is what we found....

The paper is thick and can be hard to load into a regular 4x5 sheet film holder. We didn't try the 8x10 but since the holders are larger I doubt if it would be an issue.
    Once or twice we couldn't get the dark slide back into the holder because of the thicker paper.
    Although contrasty, with flatter light we could get a nicely toned image.
    It was very convenient for shooting and doing a quick process to see how the image looked.
    Since every image is an original it's a series of 1, which even feels like fine art.
    We shot red roses, which were too black since the film isn't red sensitive, with white roses the images looked very nice.

Exposure with a photo flood was about 1 min at f32. Changing to 50 seconds, made a subtle but noticeable difference.

Overall we were very pleased and I expect to shoot a number of still life's this spring using it. I might jump up to 8x10 since a 4x5 is a bit small to frame and hang.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Methinks this would be killer if they made it in SW and were able to tone down the contrast and or made it more panchromatic (I think..)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rob,
    Thanks for the heads-up on the 4x5 holders. I will stick with standard paper negatives for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rob,

The spring-loaded pressure-plate holders from Linhof (which can also accommodate a glass plate) might be more reliable.

Cheers,
    Rob M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't own any, but those expensive holders from Sinar called "Precision Sheet Film Holders" would probably be ideal for holding direct positive paper because they have a pressure plate similar to the Linhof holders to keep the paper precisely in the film plane with a stated tolerance of +/- 0.03mm. The Sinar design opens like a clamshell making it easier to load than the Linhof, which requires you to slide the sheet in from the narrow end.

Cheers,
    Rob M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great to hear, i look forward to trying some. How did you develop it, two bath...?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What ISO did you expose for?

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't suppose you could post an example shot - I would love to see how it looks.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For the most part the workshop participants took the shots with them.

We used regular paper developer. It's the Multigrade liquid 1:9. They mention ways to control the contrast on the Harman site. Pre-flashing seems to work. In the studio I have control over the contrast.
    I would image a softer developer would work as well.

ISO 3 worked well, no filters on shooting lens.

Don't be put off by the thickness, it's workable, it was just a surprise. You can still make it work with a regular holder.

I'll play with it for bit next week, and if I get a nice shot I'll post one.

If I don't get a nice shot I'll read the instructions.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well Rob... You inspired me to give it a try. Some 4x5 should be here in a couple of days from Freestyle. Thanks for getting me moving on trying this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin