Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,186   Online: 1288

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Acrylic varnish on wet plate is NOT archival.... Sandarac is. Mark Osterman has seen issues with plate longevity with using acrylic varnish
    aswell as other substituted chemicals such as denatured alcohol instead of regular grain alcohol. Wet plate is not rocket science and is well documented. Use what works and is tried and tested. Sandarac is not hard to figure out and use once you know how.

Listen to Andrew...short cuts in wet plate generally get you to where you do not want to be...from cleaning the plate to varnishing it. K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Andrew as well. When I first was getting into wet plate, I thought two things. I thought traditional Sandarac was going to be too tough to work with and I would NEVER use KCN as a fix.

The first thing I did when actually started shooting on my own was make a great batch of Sandarac and started fixing with KCN. I think Sandarac is easy, gives a great result, is archival, has a great gloss, etc.

I only use sodium thiosulfate when doing collodion negatives, otherwise I prefer KCN. But it MUST be respected when handling and storing etc. if you do that it is fine, it fixes and rinses fast. Know about safe handling before using.

-Charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah, I would highly recommend taking a collodion workshop if you can. It will likely shorten the learning curve a great deal and pay for itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I often hear that when going into wetplate photography, one needs to have some specific knowledge in chemistry. What would be some recommended reading for someone considering taking the plunge into the process?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin