Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,079   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Holy time-consuming batman! Wow- my hat is off to anyone who puts that much work into something- I would love to see one of these in person.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
    Holy time-consuming batman! Wow- my hat is off to anyone who puts that much work into something- I would love to see one of these in person.
    If you're ever in NYC, the John Stevenson Gallery has some absolutely stunning photogravures by Cy DeCosse. Several such works can be seen here: ( http://www.artbooks.de/21st/21st-vol4-1.html ), but they don't even begin to convey the beauty of this work. That gallery (Stevenson) is a good place to view lots of alternate process work as well.

As stated above, photogravure is an excellent technic for duplicating, with great consistancy, multiple 'pulls' from one negative.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Another question to consider, I think, is whether the process is being used to produce moderate numbers of prints from the same negative with high consistency between prints vs. individual prints as an alternate process.

Photogravure has always struck me as being an excellent alternative for the former, rather than the latter. I'm not sure I'd see it as a subsitute for original silver (or alt process) prints, however.
    I don't see this process at all as replacing silver printing, as it is much more involved I'm sure. I just wanted to try a new process, make a few prints of them, just for the experience and fun of it-

Images
    Photoguy,
    I participated in a workshop some years ago. And I would strongly recommend you take one to. IMO this is NOT something you would want to do on your own without prior knowlege to the process.
    N O Mennescio
    Spatial Nihilist

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just in case anyone is interested got an email today from Photographers Formulary, they will be having a workshop July 3-8 of 2005 on Copper Plate Photogravure by Lothar Osterburg.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Just in case anyone is interested got an email today from Photographers Formulary, they will be having a workshop July 3-8 of 2005 on Copper Plate Photogravure by Lothar Osterburg.
    I found a workshop also in Berkeley, Ca. that is also 5 days (30 hrs.). Kala Art Institute offers it once a year.

I thought spending 8 hrs. in the darkroom to prouduce a print was a long time!

Gary Kolb wrote the bible on photogravure, he was one of my professors at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. This is the traditional way of making them. The newer book that was described above uses the new aquatint plates, I think, don't kill me if I'm wrong. I saw the book on the web many many months ago and read about it, but apparently wasn't yet available.

Heres a link to the Kolb book, I guess it's out of print. Lucky me I have one.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Greg

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Photgravure Book

Abebooks has the title above/same book for 24.95. The link at Amazon.com is asking $500 (?) Duh?
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Large Format

Photogravure questions

In response to the questions about the cost per photogravure print: The ultraviolet light source with vacuum frame (Richmond Graphic makes a good one) costs $2,000, the etching press (Ettan Press makes an excellent press) costs another $2,000, though cheaper used models are sometimes available. The unit costs of the materials (copperplates, etching inks, etching papers, chemicals, etc.) are not much if purchased in quantity. If all goes well, the platemaking, etching, and edition printing can be completed in a week or two, sometimes more. Having taken the considerable amount of time to etch the plate, it would not make sense to print only one impression; the costs can only be calculated on the basis of the entire edition. These costs are naturally far greater than for silver photography. Lenswork was engaging in philanthropy when it sold photogravure prints below cost, which is why that arrangement was unsustainable.

Some of the chemicals used in photogravure are toxic, but perfectly safe to use if you don't drink them or splash them on clothing or skin. The less toxic photopolymer techniques are easier and faster, but without etching it is impossible to get the depth and range of tonality that occurs only in photogravure.

In the SF Bay Area, Crown Point Press and Kala have workshops in photogravure, as do Osterburg in New York and others elsewhere.

Detailed technical information on photogravure is available at my website www.kamprint.com along with Web versions of my gravures, and gallery and dealer contacts for those who wish to purchase them. I will be conducting a photogravure workshop July 28-30, 2005 in Gubbio Italy. Information on that as well as seven other workshops in Italy is at www.kamprint.com/paese.html. (The cost info is in Yen, for residents of Japan, but US and European residents can pay in Euros.) Questions welcome.

Cheers, & happy new year,
    The Kamakura Print Collecton > www.kamprint.com

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=jovo]If you're ever in NYC, the John Stevenson Gallery has some absolutely stunning photogravures by Cy DeCosse. Several such works can be seen here: ( http://www.artbooks.de/21st/21st-vol4-1.html ), but they don't even begin to convey the beauty of this work.
    [QUOTE]

I have often admired his work but it has taken you to draw my attention to the fact that they are photogravures. Certainly something to use as a benchmark for somebody interested in the process.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin